Burger King 2021 logo

If given the choice between McD’s and BK, it’s always BK, and always a single cheeseburger with just ketchup. It isn’t often I have to make that choice. Actually non-existent any more. LOL.

1 Like

I’m not a big fan of fast food, but sometimes it’s quick and convenient.

The place where I used to work had a Burger King right across the parking lot. I avoided it for, probably, five or six years before venturing in and ordering something that left me feeling less than happy for the remainder of the afternoon. I think it was the big, foamy, chocolate-Oreo shake with gobs of whipped cream that did me in — never again.

A Wendy’s was a couple of blocks away and across a couple of busy streets. Even so, I headed there every now and again for a salad and some fries.

Here in the western U.S., we have In-N-Out Burgers. It’s a fast food chain that’s expanding like crazy. The cars at the drive-up windows are typically a dozen deep whenever I’ve driven past one of them.

1 Like

Since my wife and I both enjoy cooking and both work from home, we don’t eat out too much. When we do get fast food, we usually default to Chick-Fil-A or Raising Cane’s.

1 Like

It seems like In-N-Out has a cult-like following. When we’ve been to In-N-Out territory, we’ve never had the opportunity to partake. I’m looking forward to trying it some day to see if it lives up to the hype.

1 Like

I remember when Coors beer wasn’t available in the eastern U.S. The movie, Smokey and the Bandit, was centered around smuggling a truckload of Coors beer into the southeastern U.S. It was as though Coors was some kind of magic elixir until it became a national label. People soon found out that it was just another weak, tasteless, watery, mass-produced American beer — nothing special at all.

I feel the same about In-N-Out Burger. I’ve eaten at one two or three times and the food is just simple, plain, anything-but-interesting, basic fast food. I have no idea why people are so enthusiastic about it.

1 Like

I’ve suspected In-N-Out might be the case of food that is over-hyped.

1 Like

I tried in and out once. Very under impressed. I’ve had people say “well, you need to order off the hidden menu for the good stuff”. Which IMO is a crock. If only your “good food” is on a hidden menu, I don’t need it.

1 Like

We have a thing called 5 Guys Burgers here. People rave about it. Not a fan. yeah the burgers are big, but they taste the way they taste due to fat content and I don’t like that. However, they do have malt vinegar on the counter for your fries, which is what I get if people I’m with insist on going there. I wouldn’t go there on my own. Would rather a Boston Market chicken plate or a 99 Restaurant, or just any old pizza place.

2 Likes

5 Guys Burgers aka Heart Attack in a Sack

They do have good fries, in my opinion.

1 Like

In my mind, 5 Guys’ trademark is the grease soaking through the paper bag. I wouldn’t refuse to go there, but I wouldn’t on my own.

1 Like

I’ve mentioned this before, but I don’t eat meat and I’m also a picky eater. I’ve always been that way. Luckily almost every place has meatless items or options on their menus, including 5 Guys.

I ended up at 5 Guys with some co-workers for lunch, so I ordered their veggie sandwich. Even it was saturated with grease. I’m pretty sure they grilled all the vegetables on the same grill as their greasy hamburgers. I didn’t eat lunch that day.

1 Like

All this burger talk is making me think of one of my Dallas faves, a place called Rodeo Goat, yummy stuff and I’m not a beer drinker, but they have a huge amount of beers on tap as well.

pics and menu and more info here. If you’re in Dallas or near Dallas, give them a try. And @Just-B their veggie burger is supposed to be pretty good as well.

2 Likes

We don’t eat a lot of fast food … but now with Door Dash and not going anywhere, about once or twice a month we order out. We have been trying different places. But, lets face it … they are all expensive through that service. We don’t order enough to buy the Dash pass. And I don’t really want it. It would encourage me to use it more lol … don’t need that :stuck_out_tongue:

Anyhoo. I like all the burger joints equally. They all have good and not so good things. But, if I go to McDonald’s, I always get the old fashioned small cheeseburger. It’s my favorite. It tastes great. I love the pickle and onions. It’s just the right amount. And I hate nothing more that a burger stacked so high, half lands on my chest in the first bite :wink: If we go to BK I usually get the crispy chicken.

When I was down south, Whataburger was much better than In & Out and Sonic had the best breakfast sandwiches around.

Chick-fil-A … meh … a chicken sandwich is a chicken sandwich to me :wink: But, I loved Popeye’s fried chicken. We don’t have any of those up here. Although I do think they put a Sonic down in Albany … but I don’t drive an hour for fast food lol :smiley:

Our Five Guys is busy all the time. After spending nearly 30 bucks on two burgers, two fries and two drinks when they first opened… We’ve never been back. It wasn’t bad … but not 30 dollar good either. Although a large fry is apparently a bag full. We both were covered in grease after :stuck_out_tongue:
Our Boston Market closed due to lack of business and not being run very well. Which was a shame. The food was always good. Our 99 Restaurant always seems to do quite well. I don’t go there either though. I get too claustrophobic. You are nearly sitting on top of one another … and this was long before the pandemic, so I’m sure that’s a bit different now.

As for non-meat versions of the same things, they do specify that if you are vegan they will prepare it in a meat free area. Otherwise they do cook on the same grill and top with cheese as far as I know. But, you have to request the special cooking instructions. I haven’t tried any of them. Again … not paying 9 bucks for a burger …err … non-burger.

I’m cheap … can’t help it lol :smiley:

Yeah, they always had a limited presence around my area, until lately. Now it seems they are popping up everywhere and there are lines of cars around the building for some reason. I’ve had their food fewer than 10 times in my life, and on more than half of those occasions the chicken was dry. I hate dry chicken, and I find their menu dominated by nuggets and mac-n-cheese somewhat juvenile.

Yes, they are suddenly here in PA too, presumably as a competitive trend, and they are much better, but IMO, still not as good as Bojangles. When we travel in the Summer, as soon as we’re south of
Maryland, Bojangles becomes an annual must-have.

However, after this year’s Super Bowl (an event the food-ill like me associate with eating), I’ll be looking to hack animal products out of my diet again, at least for a while. I did it 2 years ago and lost 75 lbs. in about 6 months. I’ve gained almost half of it back now as old habits crept in, so it’s time for a reset.

1 Like

I much prefer mom & pop places that serve “real” food and try to avoid the chains. I don’t so much do that when I’m out on installs though, where you’re in unfamiliar territory and have limited time for lunch. On overnights though, I do ask the hotel desk if they know any good local places and have found some gems. Right now I’m seeking the perfect breakfast diner. Weirdly, the best breakfast I’ve ever had was at a local gun club during a fundraiser they were having for a local playground (they have a banquet kitchen that served breakfast every Saturday.) But they stopped serving breakfast when they all got closed here for the pandemic. I’m thinking they’ll probably reopen before I can find a new place that can make home fries right. LOL

1 Like

I was only able to eat there once while I was down south. They were a good distance away and I think I had a chili dog … I’m not sure though. I’ll definitely have to give them a try again if I ever get down there again in the next century :wink:

I love a good Mom and Pop place and we have two here that I love. One is Sarge’s. It’s actually called the Triangle Diner, but the chef was named Sarge and worked there for decades until he retired. Anyone who’s local knows what you mean when you say “Let’s go to Sarge’s for breakfast” :smiley: They are a little hole in the wall place. They can only seat about 20 people at a time. (All basically curb service now though) They are only open until 1pm … but also open at 5am for the early risers. They have the best breakfasts I’ve ever had anywhere. Their hashbrowns are real and crisp … not the soggy, floppy things served by chains like Denny’s.

The other is the County Corner Cafe. Another little place that can only seat about 20. But, again great breakfasts and lunches.

They are both suffering with this pandemic. I sure hope things get better sooner rather than later :heart:

Dang … now I’m starving for a good breakfast ! :grin: