Cd cover design feedback

hi everyone,
I am a grahic design student. I created cd cover design,i would love to get feedback on my work. Thank you for your time.

“THE GREATEST OF THERE KIND” ???

You’re studying to be a communications expert. Even a single typographical error or misspelling is inexcusable. ALWAYS ask someone you trust to proofread your work before showing it to anyone else.

3 Likes

Probably in the tradition of “them thar hills”.

1 Like

The dots after some of the song titles too. They aren’t periods. Just dots that shouldn’t be there.
I actually stopped looking at these after the “there” error.
Bin material (an error like that submitted in a job interview portfolio is pretty much fatal.)
But this is the student forum so should have cut em a little slack, I suppose.

As for aesthetic or appeal, without knowing the artist, the content of the CD, or their audience, it’s very hard to tell. Usually there’s an album theme or story that needs to be depicted. Not some “cool art.”
And even then…usually an iffy prospect.

I’m assuming you did this on purpose, but it comes across as a really bad crop.

1 Like

Not sure you have anything for your student portfolio, but we’ve seen much worse.

My suggestion is that you concentrate on improving your typographic skills. The front of “DYNASTIES” uses three different sans serif fonts – four if you count “earth.” They aren’t blending particularly well. Actually, mixing any two sans serif families is pretty tough. It usually looks like a mistake.

1 Like

I will always check my project twice. Thank you for your feedback

Thank you for your feedback. I will make changes and will try to redesign. I have a question, if you have to make a design for portfolio, how you will approach it.

@Just-B @Steve_O Thanks a lot for your comment.I agree, i will redesign and will work on my typographic skills.

Thanks for your time, though I am not sure what are you referring to.

I don’t do designs for portfolios.
Work in portfolios should represent your best efforts for your best projects. The only unfinished pieces might be process shots. The competition out there is fierce among designers. If you submit substandard work (ie typos or other glaring errors) for portfolio review, you aren’t going to make it.

I might be misunderstanding you, PrintDriver, but I have to disagree. Ayushi said he is a student. He will need a solid portfolio to get his first job.

1 Like

I guess what I meant was, don’t design for a portfolio. Design for a project, then only put your best efforts in the portfolio. Student projects or real work. Sometimes made up self-directed briefs can turn out to be some of the worst ideas and with no real input, can sometimes wander off the mark.
If an artist comes to you for a CD cover, there is at least music to listen to, song titles to read, and maybe an artist who has a theme for the CD itself, ie love songs, ballads, an overarching theme, etc. The little game we have going over in another thread with the random CD covers, isn’t what you should be making for a portfolio piece (though I gotta admit some of those are pretty darn clever, LOL)

1 Like

Hi @Ayushi,

It can be challenging to put your work out there, and I commend you for the effort. There is a lot of good advice here. Some of it will sink in, and some of it won’t right away, but continued effort and patience will put you in line with many more opportunities to get you where you want to go.

Per your question to @PrintDriver above on portfolios, I have one thing to add and I hope you find some value in it. It is this:

Whatever job you want get, or whatever service you’re trying to sell—especially as a new designer—make sure it is obvious from your work, and make sure you demonstrate it well.

How?

Think of your portfolio as a menu of what you can do: each piece shows a different aspect of your skill set, which will be somewhat broad, sure. But there’s usually a medium (printed packaging?), or a style (dark & cerebral?), or a type of client (record companies? finance?) that ties it all together. Just like a restaurant menu’s items all have something in common, so too will yours. This quality is what you are selling to others.

It’s hard to master two things when you’re starting out. Hiring managers are naturally suspicious of students who market themselves as generalists. This is because it’s much easier to be a clumsy generalist than a skillful one—doing it right is a product of time and experience, not personality or mindset.

So pick one area. Just one.

Whatever aspect you pick can still be somewhat broad. But make sure it’s something you love to do—maybe it’s package design, digital marketing, animation, or whatever you can put your best energy into. It doesn’t have to be forever, just something you really like for now.

In time, you will discover new things and your skill set will broaden, but go deep on one thing first.

Doing this will give you clear criteria for what fits inside your portfolio and what does not. This way the work you include will always tell a consistent, believable story about what you do really well.

Best of all, it’ll be easy for recruiters, managers, and clients to evaluate whether or not you are a good fit for their team or project. And because of this, you’ll have an easier time finding work that is a good fit for your skill set, which will make make you feel confident in your work, which will bring you fulfillment.

And hopefully truckloads of money. I mean that.

Keep up the good work. It’s inspiring for us to see you getting out of your comfort zone and growing, something we should all be doing a whole lot more. We’re lucky to have you aboard.

3 Likes

@kritmos It was so helpful thank you so much for your advice