College advice needed

After completing graduation in BA English, is it alright to do M.sc in Communication Design?

You can do whatever you want. But if I were you, I’d scope out what the job prospects on the other end of that MSc before shelling out the money. Can you get a job with a Masters degree and NO experience?

Besides, (if yer in the US) all this talk about student debt, be sure you can dig out of the hole you put yourself in because I sure as heck don’t want to be paying to backfill for you for a MarCom degree.

Master of Science? I’ve always been leery of treating communication or design as sciences, but hey, whatever.

Much depends on where you’ll be getting this degree. I’m in the U.S., but I suspect you’re not.

Anyway, from my U.S. perspective, if you’re accepted, you might be playing catch-up with all the undergrads in your program with degrees more focused on design. Lots will depend on the school, though.

If the program is run out of the communications college in a university, it’s probably doable since the school will have a communications bias, along with the assumption that its students come with varied communication degrees. If, however, the program is more closely associated with a visual arts school and focused more on design than communication, you might run into problems.

My Master’s program, for example, was predicated on it being a two-year extension of my Bachelor’s degree. Different Master’s programs make different assumptions regarding their students, so I’ll suggest paying lots of attention to those prerequisites. Sometimes they’re not fully spelled out in the school’s outreach and recruitment materials. If possible, a face-to-face meeting at the university always helps clarify mutual expectations.

I’d also consider post-graduate employment opportunities, as @PrintDriver suggested. A graduate degree in this field without real-world experience can be a liability. Many employers might regard you as an academic with no experience. In other words, an inexperienced beginner who’s academically overqualified for the job.