ColorHexa.com RBG vs Illustrator - what’s going on!

Hi,

So, I’ve designed a business logo in illustrator using CMYK color format and with CMYK percentages. I’m now trying to save the logo for digital marketing/website and I’m not sure whether to switch the file to RBG format in illustrator and use their default RBG percentages or manually change the percentages according to what colorhexa
Says they should be. Colorhexa has my CMYK classified as very dark blue, but their RGB equivalent looks black vs. illustrator default conversion. What’s best practice here?

First of all, hi Noke28, nice to meet you.

Secondly, I think this might be a question for @PrintDriver ?

I’m also curious about the answer.

Printdriver doesn’t do web. But thanks for the shoutout.
We always work from Pantone to Hex in such a situation, using Photoshop for the conversion and judging what looks ok on an assortment of monitors and phones in the office. But we don’t do it for clients, just our own corporate site.

2 Likes

I think you should determine Pantone colors for the logo first and let those colors dictate the CMYK and RGB values, since there is already a system in place for that.

Starting with CMYK might seem like the best choice cause its the smallest color space, but Pantone is really the most limiting on color choices. Plus, due to different 4 color process printing methods, dot gain, moisture/temp, gang run jobs, etc, the CMYK values you pick will probably never come out the same anyway. However Pantone will always be the same (for the most part)

I’m wondering if this is a traffic-driving plug for some conversion site.

If it is, they’re in trouble because it doesn’t seem to be working for this user. :laughing:

@Noke28, do not use that website to do color management. Start with your Pantone colors for your print logo. After you’ve updated the logo to Pantone, you can always convert those colors to CMKY using the Pantone Color Picker. This website allows you to search for colors via the Pantone number and it will give you the Pantone-approved HEX, CMYK, and RGB equivalent.

The huge differences in how various displays show the same color, makes any absolute answer impractical. After checking a problematic color on a half dozen different monitors and displays, if what should be a medium blue consistently looks like a midnight blue, I just lighten it up.

Sometimes good design just involves tweaking things until it looks right.

Definitely not a site plug…wish something existed though!
This is all very helpful. Patones first will be the way to go. Appreciate it!