Competitor Analysis Stage in Design Strategy

I was wondering how to know which competitors(specifically) are worth taking into account during a design strategy session. Do I take competitors who are on the same level as the client’s company into consideration or…? I guess an example would be great.

THANKS in advance!

Always ask the client first before blindly applying any form of logic.

Even if it seems easy to identify who and where a client’s competition is, it’s very important to ask early on who and what the client considers to be the primary competition. Running their business day in and day out, they might often perceive competition of forms you wouldn’t objectively consider.

A business that relies on highway traffic, for instance, may be in competition with patterns or tendencies having shifted due to a long-term construction project that makes access less convenient, even though it’s 2 miles away, and you’d never equate it during a routine visit.

Another example might be when a nearby business that wouldn’t technically compete at the product level is hogging the time and attention of prospective customers on foot, or worse, motivating them in some way to shorten their visit to the neighborhood. I’ve seen this more times than I would have ever expected.

The first time I sit down with a client, it’s to get the “life story” of their business; all their successes, all their gripes. Often, the hooks and trapdoors that come out of it are invaluable to effective marketing strategy.

5 Likes

Yep, I always ask the client who there competitors are.

1 Like

Oops, their not there.

Side note: the edit post functions seems to be gone.

Weird, this post has the edit post function, but my other post doesn’t. Well that’s sort of par for the course the way this week is going.

The edit-availability times out. RKK was making adjustments to it last week, I seem to remember.

I just checked, and it’s set at 15 minutes. Did it used to be longer?

I wish there were more options on granting extended editing times depending on what the software refers to as “trust levels,” but it’s sort of a one-size-fits-all thing.

In the past, we’d had problems with people getting mad at things, then deleting their posts or changing them in ways that make the follow-up comments seem nonsensical.

What do you think would be a better editing time limit? Personally, I’m totally open to setting it to a full day, but the other mods would need to agree to something like that.

For a while there it was set to 10 minutes. RKK gave it 15 when I whined about it being way too short. An hour would be good. A full 12 hours would be better. I don’t know about a whole day. Don’t think you have to go that far.