CorelDRAW is a powerful drawing package but very overshadowed, why?

Given that Aakhan resurrected an old thread on CorelDraw, it’s probably a good time to note that since the thread was previously active, Corel has made an attempt at remedying one of its major shortcomings — last spring they released a Macintosh version.

I haven’t used it, however, so I can’t comment on how good it might be. Unfortunately, with the nearly $500 price tag, it would need to be ground-breakingly amazing to get people to switch from Illustrator — especially considering that another very capable suite of contenders is available from Affinity for a fraction of that price.

I’ve never used Coral Draw before, but I’ve seen some great work people have created using the program.

Tempted to get a trial and give it a whirl. Thing is a lot of clients will still be expecting Adobe files, so can’t see a permanent switch happening anytime soon.

Still stuck in the Adobe chokehold!

Corel Draw does odd things on output. There used to be quite a thread on the old forum where people would ask about all sorts of problems dealing with print. Broacher was a pro at answering all that (wonder what happened to him?)

I have one specialty print vendor that refuses to accept any form of .cdr file. They will only take a .tif or other raster format from that program, it gives their workflow so much trouble. No, I don’t go find another vendor, one, because I don’t use CD, and two, these guys are only one of two places in the entire US that do what they do, so they can set whatever parameters they want. If they had their way, they’d never deal with InDesign either, but do make that concession.

i used corel draw in 1997 and still have nightmares today.
hopefully they improved and is free.

I think some of us of a certain age will remember learning on Corel Draw, as it used to be THE vector illustration program. I do remember the program being very picky with movement. Adjusting the curves was a nightmare. Perhaps I’ll download the newest trial and have a throwback Thursday. :grinning:

Yes, here I am still using CorelDraw & it’s awesome I design everything with this software like logos, banner, catalog, newsletter even I made college prospectus & magazines & many more.
Every software has a different way of working, I use CorelDraw more than Adobe package. And yes, I don’t understand why people glorify Adobe packages over Coreldraw.
I believe in quality work over software used.

For a loooooong time Corel was PC only. No Mac version.
And for a Looooooong time, it did not play well with rip software. (It still doesn’t to some extent.)
It’s still fairly prevalent in the small-shop signage industry mostly because it comes bundled with garage-shop printer/cutter bundles. But once a shop gets up and running they often find that the Adobewares are a necessity to interact with their growing client base. It is what it is.