Creating online portfolio/website

Hey everyone! Right now I’m trying to get started on a website for my work and I have some questions if anyone can provide some answers.
I don’t have any skills in the creation of websites. No HTML, nothing. Should I just use Wix or Squarespace to make my personal website for potential clients to check out, or is there a better site builder out there?
I’ve heard that you can use HTML to make your Wix or Squarespace website much more professional looking and less basic. Is this true? Is this a common approach for many designers starting out? Use a site builder and incorporate more HTML that you might pick up to tweak it as you go?

If possible I’d like to make websites for clients, but again, no skills in that department. Is learning HTML on my own through YouTube videos and Dummies books realistic? Or is it something that I need to dedicate a serious amount of time to, like maybe a class at community college or online courses? Because the beginner videos I found on YouTube seem REALLY complex.

Is there anything I should know about making my own website? The one thing I’m looking forward to is getting my own website so I can have a more professional looking email, like Agent@Agent008.com. I know Yahoo and AOL addresses are a no-no, but apparently even Gmail addresses aren’t seen as professional these days.

Thanks!
In the meantime I’m just going to dive into Wix and see what I can come up with.

Hi,

Greetings!

I would love to assist you with your requirement. My relevant experience in designing and developing makes it worth while. Will assist you with the customization as per your requirement. Will be assisting you throughout the project.I will be responsible for all the roles and responsibilities mentioned. Would love to have a detailed discussion and understand your requirements in detail. Would love to share some relevant samples of my work If you can share your email Id. I assist clients globally. You can connect me via email and skype.

Info removed****

Best Regards
Jennifer J

I don’t have any skills in the creation of websites. No HTML, nothing. Should I just use Wix or Squarespace to make my personal website for potential clients to check out, or is there a better site builder out there?

I don’t have any experience using either of these sites, but I have seen some nice looking sites built on these platforms. As long as you’re not selling yourself as a web designer, I don’t see anything wrong with utilizing one of these.

I’ve heard that you can use HTML to make your Wix or Squarespace website much more professional looking and less basic. Is this true? Is this a common approach for many designers starting out? Use a site builder and incorporate more HTML that you might pick up to tweak it as you go?

Again, I don’t have experience with this and don’t know how much customization these platforms allow.

If possible I’d like to make websites for clients, but again, no skills in that department.

I would caution you on this. Don’t jump into client work until you have some experience under your belt. There is a lot more to website development than know HTML. You mentioned designing a website for yourself. That’s a great place to start.

Is learning HTML on my own through YouTube videos and Dummies books realistic? Or is it something that I need to dedicate a serious amount of time to, like maybe a class at community college or online courses? Because the beginner videos I found on YouTube seem REALLY complex.

Can you teach yourself web development? Sure. Just don’t think you’ll have it down after a couple of YT videos. You’ll need to know HTML, sure. These days, an awful lot of websites are built on the WordPress platform, so knowing WP will be important. To get a handle on WP, a good working knowledge of CSS and a solid understanding of PHP will be helpful.

The one thing I’m looking forward to is getting my own website so I can have a more professional looking email, like Agent@Agent008.com.

I agree that having your own domain with branded email is the way to go. This looks more professional than agent008.wix.com.

Hello

I can help you. I have more than five years of experience in web and graphic designing and I have built numerous website, logos and graphic design. I handle so many clients from Australia and globally. Kindly share the full details of your requirement and you can check my website:

Info removed****

Thanks

Hi,

Yes, you can use Wix or Blogger like a CMS to showcase your skills to customers. But those platforms have only limited features. Even if it is a portfolio website it is good to develop a website with a great UI. I have recently created my website with the help of (info removed) They have created my website with top ratings. Suggesting for you too to opt for their services

spam magnet.

Hello,
If you still need help, this Wix review might be helpful: `

Info removed*****

Not sure how I missed this one for so long … sheesh! Sorry about that guys and gals :slight_smile:

THREAD CLOSED!