Curved monitor for graphic desinging? Yes or no?

Hey everyone,

I want to know if anyone has used or uses a curved monitor for their graphic designing work? I was actually thinking of getting one but someone said that the lines are curved rather than straight. So would like to know you guys think of it.

Thank you in advance.

Why do you want a curved monitor? What benefits do you think you will get?

If I could find a 52" curved monitor it would fit in my 36" alcove…
depending on the curvature of course. Anyone making a monitor with 360 degree curvature?

Swivel chair sold separately.

I work with a guy who uses a 40-something-inch curved monitor. He said it took a little getting used to, but that he likes it because the sides of this large monitor are better oriented to face him rather than him having to shift positions a little to get more directly in front of things.

This makes sense to me for the same reason that my laptop monitor, sitting off to the side, faces me at a different angle than the larger desktop monitor that it’s connected to.

I’m in the market for a new monitor, so I’ve been looking into the larger curved ones, but am leaning against getting one since I’m finding their resolutions typically being lower than I’d like. Pairing a 6–8K resolutions with an extra-large curved monitor would make sense, but very expensive. Besides, the selection is limited and it would require also buying a new computer capable of taking advantage of them.

A slight tangent, but speaking of 6-K monitors, Apple’s seemingly going to be selling a (non-curved) one this fall at a whopping $5,000, which would make a perfect pairing with their $15,000 maxed out tower. (I can only dream.)

1 Like

I’ve stayed away from curved monitors because I do a lot of print work. I already make considerations when making artwork flat that will end up being on a curved/rounded surface, putting a curved monitor into that mix will likely just create another challenge for me. Plus I’d rather view artwork flat just like how it prints.

2 Likes

Thanks for your reply. I was passing by the monitor shop that day and i was curious to know what it would be like in doing design work on a curved monitor. haha I am not a fan of apple products. Thank you for the advice :grinning :grinning:

thank you for the advice :grinning: I mostly into Branding and Ui design. I do the on and off packaging design only if i find the client interesting haha

have you worked on a curved monitor?

I haven’t used a curved monitor till now. But according to me curved monitors won’t go well for graphic designing. For Graphic designing monitor should be larger so that you can see your work/design at one place. Size can be 15 inches to more than 30 inch, measured diagonally.

Digging up a lot of old posts?

If you are doing design work for print I probably would not suggest a curved monitor because your colors may not be correct and if you don’t know this then it could be costly when it comes time to have your clients project printed and the colors come out all out of wack.

On a side note I have noticed that curved monitors have been dropping in price. My parents have a 72" Samsung and paid for the best model and they hate it because you can only get the best quality sitting directly in front of it.

Hope this helps!

No, it’s not like that if you are using curved screen the lines will look curved rather than straight. It’s just an illusion! If you want to use, you can use it.

Hey Everyone, wow! thanks for this amazing advice :grinning: Till yo this day i am still very curios in working on a curved monitor just to see what’s it like but none of friends use one for me to try it out. True! The prices on curved monitors have been coming down a lot, even on the ones that i wanted to get haha

Are you in a location that sells them in a store? Drop in. Kick the tires. If I were gonna drop that kind of cash on a purchase, I’d sure as heck want to see it in action first.

I’ve never used a curved monitor, but I have 2 curved TV’s, and I don’t think I’d ever buy another. I see it on both, but on one in particular, the color in the center is markedly different than at the left and right edges. It’s tolerable for the relatively unimportant purposes of entertainment, but if the same happened with the monitor I use for designing, it would certainly be a sold and replaced immediately.