Ellipsis

Uggghh I can’t stand people’s obsession with ellipses
…I…am having… a sales…person demand I put them back in in copy for an e-mail…blast.
They…are …being …used…incorrectly…and repeatedly…so.

/rant.

Okay. So just what is the correct way to use an ellipse? :wink:

Seriously, though, I feel for you.

Here’s one that grinds my gears:

…something something…
bracketing ellipses ugh!

I am being asked to put one in front of and after the word “and”.

…and…

Oye. I could see if a story writer wanted that in order to induce the pause in the speech of an uncertain character, but a sales person who wants it in marketing copy? Moron.

I use em all the time on here… …< with extras.
But not so much in the real world.
Usually a pause for effect.
Or if imitating William…Shatner.
I didn’t know it bugged people so much.
I will use more.

:laughing:

2 Likes

I tend to use ellipsis quite a bit in my informal emails. But even then I use them sparingly. We had a former CEO that sounds like what you’re describing who was obsessed with them though. And in an email that may have had 3-4 paragraphs it would contain 15 ellipsis.

Maybe you can sell him on using an em dash instead … maybe.

lmao … I feel for you… but don’t ask me about them. I use them all the time in informal writing. I also make them any whatever length I want. I’m sure I drive people batty … oh well :smiley: :smiley:

I don’t think I’ve ever written …and… though :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m reading… every post in this thread in… Shatner’s voice now.

1 Like

You’re Welcome.
:smile:

1 Like

Geech! I finally understood what Seamas was talking about — ellipses, as in using three dots. I was thinking he was getting all upset about ellipses, as in those stretched out circular shapes.

Okay, now I totally agree. The rampant and inappropriate use of ellipses (three dots) is definitely a scourge on society (except when RKK does it).

1 Like

LOL Kitch, PD and Mr. B :wink: :smiley: :smiley: