Falcon Heavy Launch by SPACEX

Who watched?? OMG it was amazing! Seeing those booster land … in one piece was really out of this world. It reminded me of stuff they had in cartoons decades ago. If you haven’t watched it … you should!!

Here are a few screencaps I snagged.

I’ve watched it a few times now :smiley:

1 Like

Being a total geek, I made sure to lock my office door and watch the launch live.

The whole business of Elon Musk launching one of his Tesla roadsters into space as the payload is, um, weird.

Being just the first test of this gigantic rocket, I was half expecting the thing to blow up, but nope. The launch was seemingly perfect, as were the subsequent upright landings by at least two of the spent booster rockets. Really amazing!

Here’s the live view of Elon’s Tesla floating through space. I really wish I had a few billions dollars to do this kind of weird stuff.

2 Likes

It was amazing! I got all choked up hearing Starman play :heart:

As far as I know it all went according to plan … the only little thing was the third booster missed the ocean landing pad and ended up in the drink. But that was a minor thing. The rest went of without a hitch. Maybe one day it will be us in a Tesla circling cruising through space :wink: … well not me … us a a human race lol :smiley:

I love that it says ‘Don’t Panic’ on the dash . . . Douglas Adams would surely be amused by the absurdity of launching a car into orbit around Mars. It will be a while before there are any charging points for it . . .

1 Like

The rocket had to have a test payload. Musk considered the usual block of concrete too boring. Reports say that is his own personal cherry red roadster there.
Think of it as a huge marketing success. Look at the number of hits on these live feeds. LOL.

1 Like

I wonder if there are odds of that thing showing up in a Star Trek episode any time in the near future. That would be hard to resist…

1 Like

I liked the Starman in the Roadster. It reminded me of the Corvette scene at the beginning of the movie Heavy Metal. It awakened my inner teen. Wicked Cool Dude!

2 Likes

YES! I was almost sure that I’d seen something similar at some point in the distant past, but I couldn’t remember what it was. You found it.

1 Like

It is spectacular. Best marketing ever for Tesla. I would be surprised if it didn’t clear out the awards this year.

1 Like

First production car in space. That’s a pretty good claim to fame.

2 Likes

@designzombie Yes!!! :smiley: That’s it! :smiley:

… and @PrintDriver They said during the launch it was Elon’s personal car :slight_smile:
and for those that didn’t know …

The SpaceX plaque under the car also has 6000 names of everyone who helped with this project … there is also a “little black box” filled with human accomplishments … just in case someone out there finds it :wink:

Best marketing of the year, maybe…but consider the cost. LOL.

My sister said the exact same thing when I showed her the replay. Heavy Metal. I’d forgotten that part of the movie. But the music CD is in the car and starts the road trip to grandma’s home town a couple times a year.

1 Like

The marketing cost was next to nothing assuming that the car and the space suit were no longer useful. The purpose of the mission was a test flight for SpaceX, not marketing for Tesla Motors. But as Elon said, he wanted to do something more fun to test the payload effects than cylinder blocks. Consider it a bonus free Ad for Tesla piggybacking on the cost to SpaceX.

1 Like