Filters similar to risograph effect

Hey everyone,

This is my first post here. I am asking about effects/distortions/filters in Photoshop.
I have been playing around with colours recently, and have been trying to achieve an effect like the images attached here:

(copyright Atelier Baudelaire)

I can see it is created with stippling, but I can’t figure out how the image/photograph has been transformed like this. Any suggestions, tips, general direction on where to read/study/find topics on this would be greatly appreciated.

I have done it a couple ways.

You can use Halftone or Stained Glass. You just have to adjust the settings to the look you want.

click it to make it bigger if you like :slight_smile:

Or if you want to give it a try you can always use Rasterbator

Others will probably chime in with more options :slight_smile:

And welcome aboard! :slight_smile:

1 Like

The red figures in the foreground are using a form of stochastic screening, which used to be a thing with spot colours on large scale street posters / bills. It is still used in the digital world, mostly for effect.

1 Like

It most certainly looks like stochastic screening.

Stochastic (FM) screening is rather than halftone dots, it’s randomly arranged dots.
It has advantages and disadvantages.

AM screening (traditional halftone dots) is largely the way most plates are made on typical CTP but FM screening is a great option in certain circumstances in print that is higher than 175LPI.

With the higher LPI in AM or FM screening the larger the colour gamut becomes, so the more vibrant colours become, which leads to more problems in colour shifts. Which typically only is an issue for vectors and raster images can be largely unaffected.

Spot colours could actually be problematic especially in tints you might even see mottling spot colour tints. This is largely an issue due to the pigment grind.

Then again - spot colours in traditional halftone prints are problematic too.

It’s a pretty good print - as it’s using only CMYK - which is a great example of using colour separations for design.

1 Like

You can actually see some mottling in that print.

But it’s a nice effect and desirable in this instance.

Just read the title of this thread.

Risograph was a machine - the Riso - that had sort of a paper plate and to my recollection didn’t produce this pattern.

It was basically a duplicator based off an original.

I briefly operated a Risograph machine in the early 2000’s - could get decent results from it - and it was cheap. But the paper plate broke down on the drum.

From what I remember it was over 20 years ago. Maybe I am mis-remembering.

Thank you for the answer. Do you know how a similar look can be achieved digitally (before being printed)?
I have looked into some “dot screen” effects and effects brushes as well as half-tone screen effects in Illustrator and Photoshop, but it doesn’t quite achieve the same look or intensity of colours. I realise it will never look as good as it would if it was actually printed and adjusted using stochastic screening, but I would like to get as close to it as possible.

(Thanks to everyone for responding)

I’ve been in this business since sometime in the Paleolithic Era, but until now, I had never heard of Risograph printing. I looked it up, and I suppose my ignorance is due to it being more of an art thing using a Risograph Printer, which I had also never heard of. It sounds interesting, though.

A few quick Google searches for Risograph printing and Risograph effect in Photoshop led to quite a few YouTube videos and various tutorials on how to achieve this look. As I suspected, it involves a whole series of miscellaneous steps, such as altering contrasts, playing around with channels, shifting layers, cutting and pasting, simplifying, applying various filters, lots of controlled accidents, etc. The general look is seemingly achievable with various combinations of all these things.

Here’s a start: photoshop risograph filter - Google Search

1 Like

That part in your detail looks like Pixeology’s stipple half tone filter.

©2021 Graphic Design Forum | Contact | Legal | Twitter | Facebook