Flood volcanism

One truly unique part of Siberia is the Putorana Plateau, which was formed during the eruption of the Siberian Traps, over 250 million years ago:

The eruption caused the Great Dying:

1 Like

Coincidentally, I was looking into the Putorana Plateau a week or two ago but got a bit frustrated by the lack of information. I noticed on Google Earth the huge circular, elevated section of northern Siberia that looked different from everything else around it, so I wanted to know why. Strangely, I had never heard of this region before then, but then Iā€™m not a geologist. I was familiar with the Deccan Traps in India, but not the Siberian Traps ā€” both precipitators of two of Earthā€™s major extinction events.

In the RGB color space you can create shades of pink/magenta by mixing red and blue.

The red of the Siberian Traps + the blue of present-day Siberia = pink/magenta.

The three colors could be used to tell a very interesting brand story.

Itā€™s worth noting that the U.S. has itā€™s own traps, known as the Columbia River Basalt Group (CRBG):

Though the eruption of the CRBG was some 20 times smaller than that of the Siberian Traps and didnā€™t cause a mass extinction event.

Iā€™ve driven through that area many times since itā€™s not too far from where I live. Itā€™s an area also scarred by extreme ice-age-related flooding events, which have left the layers of basalt clearly exposed in some areas.

By the way, Iā€™ve split off this discussion from the Siberian Heritage branding discussion since itā€™s veered way off on an unrelated tangent.

I recommend Nick Zentnerā€™s lectures on the geology of the Pacific Northwest:

Especially the ones on volcanism:

2 Likes

Oh man, I remember the first time I heard about the Great Dying and the volcanic activity that tipped the dominoes over - I think it was first described to me in a video as ā€œthat time half of prehistoric Russia just sank into lava.ā€

I really dig paleontology, and have a tangentially related interest in geology - and I think volcanoes are just cool, honestly. Havenā€™t thought too much about what the activity is like there modern day, but Iā€™m going to have to look into it now.

1 Like

I watched all those lectures all the way through plus a few more. Yes, I find this sort of thing fascinating. Thanks for linking to them. Four years ago, I camped in an area covered by the old flood basalts in northeastern Oregon to watch a total solar eclipse. It was a perfect spot for it.