Fonts you need to break-up with, but can't

I’ve been known for relying on and in some cases loving some typefaces that just don’t work in most use cases. I start a project thinking “Oh, boy! I can use it here,” but then I try it and it doesn’t fit. It never fits. At this point, I feel as if I’m searching for a problem to fit a solution. Does anyone else suffer from this illogical thought process?

1 Like

I have the opposite problem. I use typefaces that aren’t ideal just because I’m too lazy to find typefaces that are ideal.

I’ve found around a half dozen typefaces that I regularly use. I use them because I know their personality and what I can reliably count on them to do. They’re not favorites in the sense that I just like them and want to use them; they’re favorites because when I use them, they add to what I’m trying to accomplish.

I had never really thought about it before, but I don’t think I look at typefaces from the standpoint of them being separate things to like in ways that are independent of the context in which they’re used.

For a lot of reasons, my favourite typeface is Garamond, but I hardly ever use it. Helvetica is the gift that keeps on giving, but I only use that when I want something ‘anonymous’ that is just there. It is bullet proof and will never let you down (Arial is an abomination).

When clients want something that stands out, something different, I spend a lot of time getting just the right typeface or combination of headline and body faces.

If pushed, for something slightly different, I often go with Myriad Pro.

Myriad Pro, if “pushed for something different”.

Really?

1 Like

I suppose Myriad Pro has sort of turned into my version of Helvetica and being used by me as the default face for whatever doesn’t specifically call out for something else.

I don’t want to break up with it, though. I’d just like to spend a little less time with it and a little more time dating others. :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Avenir.

Does the job for me every time.

Futura
I tend to use it everywhere lately

Back to the Futura, eh? :smirk:

1 Like