Futurism (1909-1914)

Huzzah!

I’ve completed the article I had been writing on Futurism as part of my writings on Graphic Design History.

Firstly, please note that this isn’t in any way a critique of the movement, nor do I express my own thoughts. This article primarily acts as a way to get (mostly) students up to speed on what the art movements were about and how they went on to influence other major art movements - which in turn influenced graphic design.

You can check out the article here: https://mediacaterer.com/futurism-graphic-design/

Also, here are some images I came across as inspiration from the Futurism Movement:

Giacomo Balla, Dynamism of a dog, 1912

speeding-car
Giacomo Balla, Vitesse d’une automobile; Speeding car, 1913

speeding-car-light
Giacomo Balla, Vitesse d’une automobile + Lumière; Speeding car plus light, 1913

carra- 1915
Carlo Carrà, Guerrapittura (War-Painting), 1915. This was the last futurist work by Balla, published shortly before WW1

carra_manifestaz
Carlo Carrà, Interventionist Demonstration, 1914

futurism-carlo-carra
Carlo Carra, The Red Horseman, 1912

Fortunato Depero, Depero Futurista also known as the bolted book, 1927

Fortunato Depero
Fortunato Depero, Marcialottare, 1916, Free-word composition letter addressed to Marinett

Fortunato Depero-mag
Fortunato Depero, An ode to the 20th century. Magazine cover 1929

fut01
Various extracts from the book Depero Futurista, Dinamo-Azari by Fortunaro Depero

marinetti_dune
Filippo Tommaso Marinetti, from poemDUNE, parole in libertã, 1914

marinetti_irredentismo
Filippo Tommaso Marinetti, “Irredentismo”, 1914

Filippo Tommaso Marinetti, Futurist words-in-freedom, 1915

zang-tumb-tumb
Filippo Tommaso Marinetti, Zang Tumb Tumb, 1914

chaaaairrr
Filippo Tommaso Marinetti, “CHAIRrrrrrrRR” or Lettre d’une jolie femme a monsieur passeiste as the cover of Marinetti’s experimental typographic works

gino-severini-le-boulevard
Gino Severini “Printemps à Montmartre,” 1909

Armed train-
Gino Severini,Train Blindé (Armored Train in Action), 1915

1 Like

I’ve written and completed the first article of my series.

Futurism (1909-1914)

You can check it out here: https://mediacaterer.com/futurism-graphic-design/

This isn’t a critical or opinon piece on the topic BTW. It’s written in a way to get people in the know of what Futurism was and how it relates to graphic design.

I Would love to hear what you guys think about it!

gdfmoving

I combined your posts to prevent confusion and to avoid having the same convo going on in two threads :wink:

1 Like