GDF.com vs GDF.org

I’m old, lost and confused. The change to GDF.org happened some time ago now, and i’m still not sure what exactly happened.

Did we simply move?
Did we merge?
Did the government play a role?
Is it PrintDriver’s fault?

I ask myself these questions everyday. I can’t sleep. I drink.

I was a self titled “Glorious Member” in the old forum. Now… I’m nobody. Just like… a regular guy…

1 Like

Now why would I give up my 30,000 some odd posts to start all over again?
:confounded:
As to not sleeping and taking up drinking (or drinking more)…wellll that’s hardly my fault.
But I’ll take the blame if we can move on.
:smirk:

The owners of the old forum no longer wanted to support/host it and closed it down.
This one is under new management.
At least that’s the rumor.

1 Like

Now i’m leaning toward a government attempt to squelch creativity.

1 Like

As PrintDriver mentioned, the old owners — a big media company — seemingly lost interest in the forum and let it languish for several years. They finally decided to shut it down.

Iraszl, the admin of both this forum and the previous one, immediately put this new forum together and got it off the ground. He posts here every now and again, but prefers to stay mostly in the background handling ownership and administrative details. Irazi asked the moderators to stay on and be in charge of making decisions regarding the public-facing side of the forum.

We all owe a big thanks to Iraszi because without him, the forum would be dead.

In other words, yes, a giant government conspiracy. :zipper_mouth_face:

4 Likes

2 Likes

In that case, all hail Iraszi! Many thanks for keeping this great forum alive.

2 Likes

2 Likes

You had nearly 40k PD :wink:

1 Like

I fought for the old site and content, but couldn’t get it. The old owner wanted to shut it down. There is no official or public explanation. So we registered .org and continue on here. This is a noncommercial, non-profit site, so we’re not constrained by such concerns. I do want to experiment with some advertising to pay for the domain and hosting, which comes out to about $1800 a year, but I don’t intend to make profit on it. We should be able to get away with a small ad in the footer if I can find the right advertiser. I also want to share the ownership eventually, I just need to find a way to do it, so it will be a co-owned project within the community.

3 Likes

Can forum members advertise their freelance business?

Also, have you considered soliciting donations?

1 Like

Thank you for your time and financial contributions to this community!

2 Likes

That’s actually a pretty cool idea. We should help our members as much as possible. We could put something like this in the footer. Each ad spot would cost $50 per month:

Bookings:

1 Like

Yeah, I try not to think about all the time involved in that.

2 Likes

Perhaps offer a badge that would be displayed along side the member’s av @ $25.00 or there abouts? Perhaps a patrons heart or something like that.

2 Likes