Gemetric shapes

Hi all! I am a new participant of this forum. It seems abrupt for me to ask such a question but I am eager to know thew answer. Recently, my boss has asked me to design a leaflet about our comapny, a decoration company. I have browsed the Internet and noticed that designers often use gemetric shapes to create leaflet rahte rthan illustrations. I am wondering why they do it? Where can I learn using geometry shapes in design? Is it necessary for one to go to a design college to study it?

Many thanks!

Getting an education (plus lots of practice) always helps with anything someone wants to do and become good at doing.

However, Iā€™ve never encountered a specific course in college for using geometric shapes. Learning the principles of design, which involve concepts such as balance, contrast, rhythm, proportion, hierarchy, etc., is important. Designers use various geometric shapes to achieve these things in layout designs.

Illustrations, photographs, and typography supply information in addition to their contribution to the design of the layout.

2 Likes

Thank you so mucjh for your reply. By the way do you think that the uploaded images are good design?
For me, although they are beautyful, the designs seem similar. What do you think?

Numersous thanks!

House-Interior-Flyer-Template
istockphoto-825655778-170667a

1 Like

Well, it seems to me if you are not a designer and your boss wont spend money on a designer, a template is okay to choose. Your boss cant expect a high end, corporate identity orientated design anyway if he chooses this way.

If you rather really wanna dive into this, go for it ofcourse! But I would look at how much time you gonna put in it versus is it worth itā€¦ Are you ever gonna do this again? And if you wanna learn design, dont focus too much on just this leaflet. Its a fun start tho.

Screen Shot 2021-12-30 at 7.15.15 AM
^ This tells me all I need to know about the quality of this template site.
(Hint: Photoshop IS NOT a layout tool for brochures and it canā€™t be a 3-color version in CMYK and the English is sloppyā€¦[sigh])
But Iā€™ll print it and you get what you get for color.
I gave up a long time ago on any of this

Just-Bā€™s comments are right on target (again!) Pay close attention to his suggestions. And PrintDriver has some good suggestions (although his FEATURE notes are really small). As for me, I think your work shows a lot of promiseā€”nice!

1 Like

The ā€œfeature notesā€ are from that template posted above. I donā€™t think thatā€™s the OPā€™s workā€¦

I find that the above brochure designs like really close! - using geometric shapes. I am not sure if it is a recent trend that people rahter use geometretic shapes than illustration for leaflet design. I wonder why they do not use illustration? I have chosen an illustration design as my template. Waht do you guys think?

A thousand thanks!

This may sound brutal, but I am afraid, that is truly awful. The only thing I can suggest is you find a professional designer ā€“ quickly.

Itā€™s not your fault, I know, as you have been charged by your boss to do this and you are not a designer. However, if this is for serious business communications, then this would be commercial suicide.

If you / your boss want to communicate that the business is amateur, done on the cheap and with little skill, then go ahead; this will do the job perfectly. It looks flippant, child-like. Itā€™s illegible. It says nothing about the business and what it does ā€“ without even going into the nuance of how it does it, how it stands out from competitors.

If I were to read anything to do with house decoration from that (and I donā€™t) it would be that you maybe decorate houses for childrenā€™s parties.

I am not sure what your fixation with illustration is, when patently, for the job at hand, evidential photography would be far more appropriate. This is not about your personal preferences. It is about communicating a clear, distinct and targeted message to a specific demographic. This takes years of knowledge and experience to know how to do.

Find a good designer and tell them what you want to say. You have a problem to be solved. Find someone who can solve it for you.

Donā€™t do it on the cheap, it will cost you a lot of money in the end. I donā€™t understand why any business owner would choose to take the Do-It-Yourself approach, to be honest. Would you trust the core service of the business to someone who had no idea what they are doing? Of course not. Then why treat communicating about your core services to potential customers in the same way? Itā€™s madness to my mind.

I am sure you are good at what you do, but you are not a designer. If your boss has given you this task, then Iā€™d suggest going back to them and telling them that now you have researched it, youā€™ve found that the best way to achieve what they want is to get a professional involved. Of course there will be a cost, but, as I mentioned, there will be a far higher price to pay for not doing it the correct way.

Find a good designer if you value your business.

My boss is a mean, greedy businessman of a small company! You cannot expect him to pay a penny for the job! He said that because I am a diploma in game design, I should know how to do it! Itā€™s a way difference between game design and graphic design I think so I chose that one. In addition, Chinese people like gold!

Then heā€™ll get what he pays for. Itā€™s false economy in the long run.

I do understand that cultural differences have to be taken into account, but legibility, is international. If something is difficult to read n whatever language and taking into account whatever cultural differences, it has a two-fold effect. Firstly, itā€™s difficult to read, so people wonā€™t try too hard (with the odd exception, like intentionally punk/experimental). Secondly, it leaves people with a negative sense about the piece and that tends to reflect on the product or service.

The main heading is not clear and moreover looks brown, rather than gold, anyway.

I donā€™t disagree with Sprout, but Iā€™ll give you some advice on how you can improve your flyer or leaflet. The leaflet wonā€™t be great since I think youā€™d need to start over, but you can make it a little better by doing a few things.

Iā€™ve placed letters over your leaflet to indicate what area of the leaflet Iā€™m referring to.

A ā€” What is this area? Will promotional text go here explaining what the leaflet is about? Iā€™m assuming that must be the case or the large purple space makes no sense.

Why is the purple in this area a slightly different color than the purple area on the left side of the layout?

If text goes here, keep in mind that there might be printing problems reversing text out of a color. Your leaflet wonā€™t be printed using purple ink. Instead, it will be printed by combining CMYK inks or toner. If the ink isnā€™t laid down perfectly, the white text could look out of register, blurry, and make it difficult to read. To guard against this happening, itā€™s usually best to use black text on light-colored backgrounds.

B ā€” Is the type here the price of the house? Placing dark letters against a dark background lessens their legibility. The words and numbers need more contrast with the background. You can do this by making them a lighter color.

I would also remove the drop shadow. The shadow makes no sense. Shadows donā€™t float in space, nor are they brown. Sometimes a subtle, blurry drop shadow can improve the contrast between words and a busy background. However, the way youā€™ve used the shadow lessens that contrast and, subsequently, lessens the readability of the words.

C ā€” Why is this shape here? Is it only for decorative purposes or is it meant to point to the text that I assume will be on the right side of the page? The geometric shapes on the examples you provided make sense because theyā€™re nicely integrated into the layout. Your shape, however, is a single, random shape placed on the page.

In addition to what Iā€™ve already mentionedā€¦

On the first and third examples you provided, notice the dynamic relationship between the negative and positive shapes (the background and the foreground elements). The white backgrounds arenā€™t just backgrounds on which everything sits ā€” those negative spaces form interesting shapes that contribute to the design by visually interacting with the foreground shapes.

On your leaflet, the big purple background is just a big sea of color. Instead of doing this, the background should visually interact with the foreground shapes in a way that makes the background more than just a big sea of purple on which everything else floats. The interactive relationship between positive and negative shapes and spaces is a difficult concept to understand, but itā€™s essential to good graphic design.

In my first reply to you, I mentioned the principles or elements of design. Do a search for them on the internet and study the example you find. They might help clarify what Iā€™ve written.

Thank you so much for all of your advice! I have learned a lot from you guys. The arrow like shapes point to the next page. Purpple on the next page differs on account of gradient changes of the color. I always wonder should I use different color on each page? According to my research, seldom designers use 3D letters on their designs. Why is that. What is in B area is the price tag for decoration of the whole house. My boss say it is a great discount, however, he just use cheap materials to do the job! What is a mean businessman!

Besat regards!

Thatā€™s not a brown drop shadow.
itā€™s extruded 3D text.
Still, itā€™s kind of an unappealing ā€˜goldā€™ color

Because extruded type is ugly. Good typeface designers spend many months and years carefully designing and rendering each character. Twisting, stretching, squishing, extruding, and distorting the type for a decorative effect usually results in something much less attractive and readable. There are exceptions, but as a general rule, more often than not, it doesnā€™t work well or look good.

Understood. Thanks a lot! And I am designing a new one.