Getting a image for what the client wants

Hi, I am new to the Graphic Designing business and I can make good content when it’s for my self. The problem I run into is when I do work for a client and they give me a description I always have trouble getting an image out of it. I was hoping someone could give me some tips on how to improve this ability?

Your question isn’t very clear, but possible answers might be:

1. Take a photograph.
  2. Buy a stock photograph.
  3. Make an illustration yourself.
  4. Higher an illustrator to make the image.

He’s talking about how to come up with a graphic design solution for his client’s particular design challenge.
As in, how to do the job of a graphic designer, pretty much…

It all comes from asking the right questions, doing research, sketching, then sketching some more, knowing what to ask for as far as deliverables (copy, imagery, client demographics etc…) and practice. Lots and lots of practice.

Also, Take a look at your client’s website, their business card and other printed/web materials. This will help you get a feel for their general style and branding.

There’s also no shame in taking a look at what other designers have done for similar pieces. Say, you get a request to design a pocket folder or a rack card, but you’re not familiar with how the layout works or what content is commonplace. Take a look at some examples or works of others.

Otherwise it’s really up to the client to paint a pretty solid picture of what they’re looking for, as well of supply you content or typography for the piece.

Branding brings up another point.
Ask the client for their brand guidelines.
If they don’t have one, there’s another opportunity for you.
:wink:

My strongest tools for conceptualizing are (1) brainstorming meetings and (2) google images.