Getting started

Hi,
I’m new to the forum and figured this is the best place to ask. I would like to get more into graphic design but not sure where to start. I already do flyers and brochures but there’s so much more that I want to learn. I already have my bachelor’s in a different field so I’m not sure if getting another one would be worth it? I prefer a more structured learning environment so I actually don’t mind school. I hear a lot about learning on your own but idk if those sites are actually legit and will really teach me what I need to know. I have so many questions haha, but it’s more so advice on if it would be worth it to go back to school for graphic design, get a certificate, learn on my own, read some books, etc. just let me know please.

My first suggestions always “Adobe Classroom in a Book”.
They are:

1. inexpensive
  2. perfect for beginners because each chapter teaches one tool
  3. it has a download of lesson plans that you do step-by-step.
    This is imo the best way to learn the basics of the programs for design. I’ve been doing this stuff for 30+ years and I still have these books on my shelf as reference.

The other thing is to start training your eyes. You do that by sketching. Draw something from real life, anything, every day. Even if it’s just a 5 minute sketch.

In the U.S., it’s become increasingly difficult to find a good job doing graphic design without a great portfolio and a four-year degree in the field or in a closely related field. It’s not impossible, but the odds are stacked against those who try.

Okay, thank you so much!

Are there any schools that would allow me to get a second bachelor’s if you know?

I’m not sure I’m understanding your question since I don’t know of any schools that would prevent you from getting a second bachelor’s degree.

If you’re OK with the extra time and tuition expense, I’d just start checking around at different schools to see which ones match up best with your needs. Since you already have one bachelor’s degree, your general education classes are already mostly out of the way. That being the case, you might find a school that could award you with another four-year degree in half the time.

Depending on your portfolio, your work experience and any possible relevance to your first bachelor’s degree, you might even find a school willing to let you into a two-year master’s-level program in design. (But that might be a long shot.)

Another important part of landing a design job once you’re done with school are the unpaid and paid internships or part-time jobs you had while in school. School is great for providing the theory and know-how, but using that information in a real-world business setting with employers and clients can only be learned on the job. Lots of agencies or businesses with design departments will take on design interns, but they’re often (usually?) only interested in doing so with enrolled students.

Yeah for some reason I just thought I couldn’t get a second one. But thank you so much for all this information, I really appreciate it!

If you can spare the time (and cost) for a formal education and want to be a good designer, that would be the better option than picking up skills here and there.

What country are you in? Lots of my friends have two degrees and it seems quite common in my country. I think our degrees are more affordable than some other countries, though they’re not free, like others.

I had a quick look to see what the most degrees held by one person is and I found it was
14 degrees (current) though the record is 30 (deceased).

I’m in the US.

And that’s impressive that those people had so many degrees.

I have two bachelor’s degrees as well. But don’t count on getting that second one in 2 years… The coursework schedule is rigged so you end up doing 2.5 to 3 years so the college gets its money’s worth out of you. You can shorten it some if they offer intersession, summer or night classes. Don’t bet on it.
You may have better luck transferring courses if the school you went to originally has an acceptable art program. That’s the way I did it and they just considered it a “double-major,” even though I went back 8 years later for the 2nd.

Ohh okay I see, thank you for this!