Graphic design future job Market

I want to learn a graphic field that is in demand in the market like 2025.
for example in the present UI/UX Design( most demand 2021), T-shirt Design, mascot logo.

tell us your thoughts about the future of the field.

Welcome.

I’d suggest learn graphic design as a subject and then worry about the branch you want to go down. A good designer can adapt to most disciplines because they understand what design is all about. The rest is just learning software and application.

In short, get yourself properly educated if you want a long-term, sustainable career.

In the US, everything related to the fields of publishing or printing is going to continue to be a bloodbath.

I see disruption across the board. I’m not sure that I’d phrase the issue as one of this or that thing being in or out of demand — especially as narrow as t-shirt, logo, or even web design. Everything is changing and will continue to change.

On the one hand, there have never been more printed materials than today. Still, the glut of new designers, do-it-yourself alternatives, crowdsourcing, lower-cost overseas work, and commoditization of design is changing everything. If you can find your niche in this changing landscape, you’ll do fine, but if you approach it as a typical designer doing custom, bespoke work, it’ll be tough going with low wages.

As for UI/UX design, I’m not sure that it’s that far behind print and for many of the same reasons. It’s been a growing area of design because online communication has grown rapidly, but really, how much growth potential is still there? Web design, for example, is quickly turning into a choice of which off-the-shelf WordPress or Wix template to pick, which isn’t all that different from the Canva approach to print design. Various schools are churning out UI/UX designers by the boatload, so I suspect supply will soon catch up with and overtake demand, just like it has with print.

There will always be low-wage, one-off jobs, but if the goal is to make a good living, a more creative approach to positioning oneself in the field is needed. There will also always be higher-end jobs requiring custom solutions, and I don’t see that changing for the foreseeable future. However, aiming for these higher-end jobs is a bit like a college basketball player aiming for the NBA — a few will make it, but the vast majority won’t.

One somewhat stable growth area that I don’t see mentioned often is in-house design positions. The means to communicate with and market to their customers has expanded by leaps and bounds. In the past, companies might have one or two low-skill marketing people on staff, and they’d outsource the more significant projects to outside agencies.

Today, a company’s potential marketing and communication channels warrant bringing this work and expertise in-house. They’re expanding their in-house communication/marketing groups into full-fledged in-house agencies. The advantages to designers being that these jobs typically come with good company benefits, better pay, and the stability that often comes from being part of a larger organization.

These in-house advantages are drawing increasingly large numbers of top-notch designers and increasing the quality of work. In addition, these groups are changing from being purely service groups into strategic decision-makers regarding their company’s public communications. I don’t see this trend diminishing over the next five to ten years. It’s hit and miss so far but heading in the right direction.

1 Like

©2021 Graphic Design Forum | Contact | Legal | Twitter | Facebook