Graphic Designers Vs. Artists

I do believe that being a graphic designer has a lot of perks as compared to being an artist. Though an artist works more independently and make something as per his likings, graphic designer, on the other hand, is bound to create something useful for others (his clients), keeping aside his own likes and preferences. There is another advantage of being a graphic designer - Graphic designers get more job opportunities. Don’t you agree?

:popcorn: I wonder if folks have any opinions about art vs. design…

Let me ask, what are the primary differences between art and design in your opinion?

For most of the working artists I know, the only job opportunities they pursue are teaching. I know primarily traditional painters and sculptors. They tend to produce work as a matter of practice, then they decide which pieces they can let go of and give them to someone to sell. Usually after they have run out of room.

The designers I know are a smaller group. Agency or freelance and they only make work when they are paid to do so.

Wasn’t this just hashed out in another thread?

1 Like

How about
Graphic designers are artists. Not all artists are graphic designers.
That’s it in a nutshell.

1 Like

There is some overlap, depending on your definitions of art and design.
I consider myself to be a craftsman rather than an artist. I do page layout, logo design, typography. There is a lot of skill to what I do, but none of it is art.

In that case each has a specific role to fill.

Employment of graphic designers is projected to grow 3 percent from 2020 to 2030** , slower than the average for all occupations. Despite limited employment growth, about 23,900 openings for graphic designers are projected each year, on average, over the decade.

An additional 23900 every year, on top of what’s already out there? I’d find that hard to believe.
Aquick web search gave me this number:

A bachelor’s degree in graphic design is one of the most popular degree programs in the U.S. with more than 125,000 students graduating from a BFA graphic design program each year.Mar 17, 2022

~theartcareerproject
Their bold

You do that math…
Not even close to sustainable, if that is true.
Again, I don’t believe that number either

Income and job security are not useful parameters for comparisons. I earn now about a quarter of what I earned ten years ago, and that was still way below some of the graphic design jobs I saw advertised. I also know graphic designers who have always struggled to find work, and yet I have never been unemployed for more than a month or so.

I got another number on a different data site of 8500 GD grads per year.

And this gives a better picture in the US of the field
Graphic Designers
With only 204,000 jobs, I find an additional 24000 every year a little off.
This 204k number does not include self-employed.

Graphic Design | Data USA.

This site says there were 8,541 graphic design degrees awarded in 2020 in the U.S. (perhaps the same site PrintDriver was referring to).

Assuming each will work 30 years in the field, that amounts to a little over 250,000 designers if the number of graduates each remains steady. It won’t remain steady, of course — nothing does. However, the numbers do seem to suggest there are more design graduates each year than available jobs, which might also be an indicator of stagnant or declining wages.

I’m assuming the situation is roughly the same in Canada, much of Europe, Australia, and New Zealand. If a college-aged person’s goal is to make an above-average income while reaping the benefits strong job market, graphic design isn’t a good choice for a major.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.