Graphic Designing Facts and Information

My name is Nathan Roeder, and I am a recent year 12 graduate. The reason for me creating this topic is because I have recently got into graphic designing 2 months ago creating mascot logos, and there were many questions that I have about this. At my time in secondary school, I have received a Certificate II certification in Information Design Media and Technology, and also a Certificate III in Visual Arts Photography. Some of the questions that I had are how much money should I be making for the mascot logos that I have made on Adobe Illustrator? So far because of me being a beginner in the industry, I spend an average of 30 hours on each mascot logo, which involves the process of shading the logo, perfecting all the pen tool outlines, and finally adding creative colourful text onto it. Another question I have is is graphic designing better to do as a freelancer or work with others in a business? My personal preference would be to work with others to collaborate with projects - and this option works best for me as well because my plan is to receive Tafe as well as University qualifications such as a diploma and bachelors degree for a Certificate IV in graphic designing however, I would like to hear what others suggest. I also have a range of 4 logos I have created that I would like others to give me feedback on. Thank you.

I came across you on another forum with the same user name.

Welcome to the forums.

Hi, ChinmunkDesigns. Welcome to the forum!

Since this forum gets visits from around the world, some questions are difficult to answer without some knowledge about where you live. Your IP address points to Western Australia, so prices appropriate for Perth likely have little relationship to where I’m at in the U.S. or to someone in, say, India, Egypt or Peru.

Prices differ like crazy. A big, professional sports team might pay a marketing agency tens of thousands of dollars (or more) to design their logos. A secondary school’s football team logo might be done for free by one of the students. As someone between secondary school and a university, well, your work is quite likely a lot closer to free than tens of thousands of dollars.

Here in the U.S., it would be difficult to make a good living designing nothing but logos. Starting out with a specialization of designing just mascot logos would be next to impossible. Australia isn’t that dissimilar from the U.S., so I suspect the same is true there too. Besides, most specializations in graphic design occur further into one’s career as one builds up certain kinds of experiences that lead down various paths — not at the beginning.

I don’t know what “Tafe” is (an Aussie thing, perhaps), but starting out as a freelancer rarely works. Beginners — even new university graduates — just don’t know enough about the business and working with clients to make a successful go at it. Starting out with more senior designers at a good company is a far better way to learn the ropes.

After you start your university studies, try to get some internships or part time work in the field. It will give you a head start into how the business really works in real life, which is something not typically taught especially well, if at all, in design school. Here in North America, it’s difficult to find a good design job straight out of university without also having a history of successful internships.

Post them in the student section of the forum. I’m sure lots of people here will have lots to say about them. Be sure to wear a heavy sweater, though — people here aren’t afraid to tell you what they think. :smile:

1 Like

Thank you Smurf2, glad to be on here!

Just-B, thank you for all the feedback that you have given me. I will make sure to consider that it is better to start off as a senior designer rather than a freelancer. I have also posted one of my logos in the student forum like you said, and will post others later. Cheers!

Uhm…I’m pretty sure you are getting it wrong here.
What Just-B means is to first start off working at an agency or a company where you are able to work with seniors/seasoned designers. During this period, you will have to do your best to learn everything you need to when dealing with client works. From technical aspects to business manners and methods to effectively communicate with (potentially not so pleasant) customers. I would like to also add up that you should also use this time to expand your network with colleagues and clients, build relationships and so on.

Once you’ve gotten the gist of what working with clients mean, and are confident of dealing with clients by yourself, you can set out to work as a freelancer if you so desire.

1 Like

As medabots mentioned… that is NOT what Just-B said.

As a designer one of the biggest things is listening to what one is telling you :wink:

Here is what he actually said

You will never be hired as a senior designer when just starting out. But, working at a place that has them, you will learn tons of very valuable information. Then one day you might become a senior designer.

1 Like

Thanks for correcting my misunderstanding medabots1996, and I will make sure to use this time to expand my network with colleagues and clients as well as build relationships with them.

Thank you for correcting my misunderstanding RedKittieKat, and I will make sure to keep in mind that starting out with more senior designers at a good company is a better way to learn the ropes of this career.