Graphics Designer interview questions and portfolio

Greetings everyone! Today I had an interview for a remote Graphics Designer position via Google Hangouts. Interestingly, the interview was text based, so I was able to google some questions but I thought the timer is ticking, so I’ve tried to be quick as I can. I need your help.
Please, if you can, give your answers to these questions (Some of them seem to be easy but they are tricky inside and they want to hear not logically given answer), this will be very helpful for me, as I am on my 3rd year without a job after finishing University :frowning:

And please if you can, in addition, see my portfolio and say what you think. http://create.arty-media.net
Is it good enough to have a normal job with a salary which can feed your needs?
I understand there is room to improve all the time, but I suppose I am on mid-level now or something… OK THANKS AND SEE YOU LATER!

P.S. also it is very difficult for me to decide what to choose, to become a video editor or graphic designer, I like both of them and have no idea what to do :frowning: any advice?

QUESTIONS WAS GIVEN IN PARTS :

1) What do you understand by the word"Privacy and code of conduct?
Can you embrace challenge and complexity with a sense of adventure and enthusiasm?

2) What qualities and skills should a good graphic designer have? How do you work with collaborators like copywriters, developers, and project managers? Tell me about the final hand-off process.

3) How do you incorporate feedback into your designs? What’s a time you received hard criticism for your work? Describe your creative process. And What are the major steps?

Maybe I’m misunderstanding or misreading this, but are you asking us to help you answer interview questions? After all, you’re being interviewed and should be responding based on your knowledge and experience, not on the collective knowledge and experience of the forum.

1 Like

I don’t know how to answer tricky questions

That’s what an interview is for, to gauge how the interviewee answers questions.

STOP PLAYING SMART GUY HELP ME PLEASE I DO NOT UNDERSTAND WHAT EMPLOYER WANT

I’m not being a smart guy, but the employer is asking you these question to ascertain whether or not you are a viable candidate for that position. If you are unable to answer the questions, then perhaps you are not the correct candidate. Best of luck.

1 Like

Then this can’t be a good fit.

Artyzik, I think you overcomplicated things and, from the sounds of things, began to panic.

I’m assuming the interview is over now, but I think you’re mistaken about them being trick questions. Why would they want to trick you? They’re looking for a good designer, not trying to trick the applicants. They’re just trying to get an idea of how you handle certain situations and what your thought processes are when doing so. More than likely, they just aren’t all that well-written questions.

Reading through the questions, I’m not sure what they were getting at on a few of them myself, but coming up with reasonable answers is mostly a matter of common sense. If you were confused by some of the questions (as am I), I’m sure others were just as confused, which pretty much puts you on a level playing field with everyone else — as long as you remain relaxed about it.

I’m sure you’re not lacking in common sense and logical thought — your first post shows that. But panic and anxiety pretty much throws logical thought out the window. It’s easier said than done, but being relaxed and confident in an interview scores a whole lot more points than you might think.

With that being the case, it’s completely counterproductive to get anxious about these kinds of things. It’s far easier said than done, of course, but it might help to keep remembering that no one’s trying to trick you and the interview is as much about you interviewing them as it is them interviewing you.

It’s been a long time, but I remember at least two occasions where at the end of a job interview I thanked them for their time, then wrote a follow-up note to them the next day saying that despite it seeming like a great place to work, that it didn’t seem quite like the right fit for me.

2 Likes

Thank you for existing man. That’s why I like to ask questions on forums.

To all: So I will show you what I had answered to these questions now. And If you can, could you tell me where I was wrong or maybe I could have a better answer?

I feel insecure because I don’t have any feedback from anyone… and I am panicking because English is not my 1st answer, and maybe I know the answer but I don’t know right words for showing myself from the best position.

1. What do you understand by the word"Privacy and code of conduct?
    Can you embrace challenge and complexity with a sense of adventure and enthusiasm?

Standard of behaviour of the employees. Yes I can and I have proven this by finishing University of England and having really good portfolio by now.

1. What qualities and skills should a good graphic designer have? How do you work with collaborators like copywriters, developers, and project managers? Tell me about the final hand-off process.

Knowing basics of human psychology, like how colors and shapes affect human, what makes them look at what you create, you need to be able to see a lot of details.

About the project:
I have my to-do task list and I speak with the team via skype or some chat messenger and if I have questions I always ask. When the project is done I send all files required to the main email or google drive space

1. How do you incorporate feedback into your designs? What’s a time you received hard criticism for your work? Describe your creative process. And What are the major steps?

Well, if you receive hard criticism thats means you have the room for improvement and you should research what was done incorrectly, fix it and do not repeat in the future.
When I receive feedback I always try my best to understand the needs and final goal what we are trying to achieve.

Major steps are understanding the key problem that we are trying to solve with the designing process and what are our goals for today.

I look at what needs to be done and try to come up with the idea, sometimes you need to sketch or see other examples of final outcome.