Happy Almost Royal Wedding Weekend!

Mayonnaise I love Mayo

1 Like

Again, the polls seemingly disagree with you on that with about 70-75 percent in the UK supporting the continuation of the monarchy. I was surprised, but thatā€™s what a few Google searches consistently came up with. Of course, I guess itā€™s possible that the majority donā€™t especially like them or dislike the idea of a royal class, but still see a reason to keep them around for various reasons.

Similarly, I detest our current president, Donald Trump who, in my opinion is utterly unqualified and unfit for office. Once heā€™s gone, though, I think Iā€™ll go into a news junky withdrawal. Iā€™ve gotten hooked on looking forward to whatever asinine thing he manages to do and say almost every day. Despite that, Iā€™m still looking forward to his departure or removal from office.

Ditto

If the Democrats donā€™t float something better than the current communistic choices, and if Mueller doesnā€™t do better than convictions on decade old charges, and if the independent candidates canā€™t do better than 2%, it may be an unfortunate fact of life for another 4 years after. Thereā€™s a whole section of independent swing voters out there that are totally unimpressed with all of it. I for one am really tired of taxes on everything. Iā€™m not paying for your ā€œfreeā€ mass transit, your ā€œfreeā€ college, or your ā€œfreeā€ healthcare. And until our supposed ā€œIā€™m not running for Presidentā€ senator puts her money where her mouth is and stops jetting around the country touting ā€œGreenā€ whatever rather than offering solutions to the crisis du jour, Iā€™m not buying that either.

You need to not focus so much on the news. Trump is an expert at leading people around by the nose. I donā€™t, for one minute, believe he isnā€™t using those tweets of his to distract from other things going on. Read outside the lines.

1 Like

Disagree with me on what? I also think we should keep the monarchy intact as I have stated previously on this thread.

Exactly. The main reason being they bring money into the country via tourism.

Obviously.

The polls donā€™t seem to differentiate between those who dislike them, but want to keep them anyway and those who dislike them and wish the whole thing was abolished. Just a hunch, but I suspect most of that 70ā€“75 percent who want to keep the monarchy actually likes the whole things more than they dislike it, even when theyā€™re conflicted about the particulars.

If the whole royal thing brings in a few hundred million pounds to the British economy each year, thatā€™s great. But thatā€™s a drop in the bucket in an economy with an annual GDP of Ā£2 trillion. The economics donā€™t make for an especially compelling reason to keep them around if the whole institution is so widely disliked.

As an outside observer with British friends and family living in the UK, Iā€™ve noticed the relationship with British royalty seems complicated. People, to vary extents, tend to resent the notion of a privileged class, yet are seemingly fascinated by it down to the point of Megan closing her own car door or Prince Phillip not wearing his seat belt being something important enough to be newsworthy.

Not that weā€™re immune from being fascinated by equally silly things over here, weā€™re certainly not.

Just a hunch huhā€¦

I dislike them myself, but I still think we should keep them, soā€¦

If you really think 75% of British people LIKE the royals then that just shows you how little you know of the British people.

Spending by overseas visitors to the UK is forecast to reach Ā£26.9 billion in 2018 You think people are here for our beaches?

Ā£20 billion is worth having I reckonā€¦

All your clever words and research cannot disguise the fact that you know very little of British culture and the people. Also the fact you take 30 minutes to post a response (yes I see you typing)
speaks volumes of how much you actually know.

Of course not. Itā€™s gotta be the food. :face_vomiting:

I donā€™t think that, nor did I say that. I said that my observation is that lots of people have conflicted feelings but that I suspect the majority like them more than dislike them, despite those conflicts.

Iā€™m in a meeting and busy paying attention to a whole lot of things and using this conversation with you as a distraction to keep me from falling asleep.

We both know itā€™s neither.

Although, the Americans donā€™t really have much to offer in the way of gourmet cuisine either do they. well they do, but nothing they actually came up with themselves.

ummmā€¦

Oh, I wouldnā€™t pretend to impugn any countryā€™s cuisine from higher ground.

I watch Fox News. I think common sense evades us all.