Happy Chilly Friday! 🥶 11/08/19

istockphoto-514310912-612x612

We’ve headed for the deep freeze it seems. Up here in the woods it was mid teens this morning. Right now it’s just over 30° F. There was snow in the upper regions yesterday and we have seen a bunch of flurries off and on. There was a slight coating this morning as well. We were out and about early this morning for appts and such and let me tell you … we were in full winter regalia … heavy coats, mittens, gloves, scarves, hats and thick socks :wink:

I hope everyone is having a smooth Friday and looking forward to a fun and or relaxing weekend.

Happy Friday Everyone!!!

Today is Friday, Nov. 8, the 312th day of 2019.

On This Day Facts:

November 8, 1519 - Cortes conquered Mexico. After landing on the Yucatan Peninsula in April, Cortes and his troops had marched into the interior of Mexico to the Aztec capital and captured Aztec Emperor Montezuma.

November 8, 1861 - During the Civil War, the USS San Jacinto intercepted a British mail steamer, the Trent, and detained a pair of Confederate diplomats who were enroute to Europe to seek support for the Southern cause. (Although the Trent Affair strained relations between the United States and Britain, the matter was quietly resolved with the release of the diplomats the following January.)

November 8,1864 - President Abraham Lincoln won re-election as he defeated Democratic challenger George B. McClellan.

November 8, 1895 - X-rays (electromagnetic rays) were discovered by Wilhelm Roentgen at the University of Wuerzburg in Germany.

November 8, 1923 - Hitler’s Beer Hall Putsch took place in the Buergerbraukeller in Munich. Hitler, Goering and armed Nazis attempted, but ultimately failed, to forcibly seize power and overthrow democracy in Germany.

November 8, 1939 - An assassination attempt on Hitler failed at the Buergerbraukeller in Munich. A bomb exploded soon after Hitler had exited following a speech commemorating the 1923 Beer Hall Putsch. Seven others were killed.

November 8, 1942 - Operation Torch, the Allied landings in North Africa, began as 400,000 soldiers under the command of General Dwight D. Eisenhower landed at Morocco and Algeria.

November 8, 1950 - During the Korean War, the first jet-plane battle took place as U.S. Air Force Lt. Russell J. Brown shot down a North Korean MiG-15.

November 8, 1960 - Massachusetts Sen. John F. Kennedy defeated Vice President Richard M. Nixon for the presidency.

November 8, 1972 - The premium cable TV network HBO (Home Box Office) made its debut with a showing of the movie “Sometimes a Great Notion.“

November 8, 1974 - A federal judge in Cleveland dismissed charges against eight Ohio National Guardsmen accused of violating the civil rights of students who were killed or wounded in the 1970 Kent State shootings.

November 8, 1987 - 11 people were killed when an Irish Republican Army bomb exploded as crowds gathered in Enniskillen, Northern Ireland, for a ceremony honoring Britain’s war dead.

November 8, 1994 - Midterm elections resulted in Republicans winning a majority in the Senate while at the same time gaining control of the House for the first time in 40 years.

November 8, 2000 - A statewide recount began in Florida, which emerged as critical in deciding the winner of the 2000 presidential election. Earlier that day, Vice President Al Gore had telephoned Texas Gov. George W. Bush to concede, but called back about an hour later to retract his concession.

November 8, 2002 - The U.N. Security Council unanimously approved Resolution 1441, aimed at forcing Saddam Hussein to disarm or face “serious consequences.“ President George W. Bush said the new resolution presented the Iraqi regime “with a final test.“

November 8, 2004 - After a decade, the U.S. dollar was eliminated from circulation in Cuba.

Birthdays

• Astronomer and mathematician Edmund Halley (1656-1742) was born in London. He sighted the Great Comet of 1682 (now named Halley’s Comet) and foretold its reappearance in 1758. Halley’s Comet appears once each generation with the average time between appearances being 76 years. It is expected to be visible again in 2061.

• Dracula author Bram Stoker (1847-1912) was born in Dublin, Ireland.

• Gone with the Wind author Margaret Mitchell (1900-1949) was born in Atlanta, Georgia. Her romantic novel about the American Civil War sold over 10 million copies, was translated into 30 languages, and was made into one of the most popular movies of all time. She won a Pulitzer Prize in 1937 for the novel, her only book. She died after being struck by an automobile in Atlanta.

• Pioneering heart surgeon Christiaan Barnard (1922-2001) was born in Beaufort West, Cape of Good Hope Province, South Africa. He headed the surgical team that achieved the first-ever human heart transplant in 1967.

Have A Great Weekend Gang!!! :heart:

1 Like

It is indeed chilly here. I had to disconnect the hoses so the spigots could drain before I went to bed last night.

This will be an uneventful weekend. My wife is out of town. She’s at the Biltmore Estate in Asheville, North Carolina. There is a traveling exhibit of the costumes from Downton Abbey, and she and my two sisters took a trip to see the exhibit and the estate. As part of the tour, they get to go back in the evening to see all of the Christmas decorations lit. I’ve only seen the estate from a distance. I’d like to go back and tour it some day.

A buddy of mine is coming over tonight. We’ll cook dinner and hang out a bit.

Tomorrow will be working around the house and a little catch up with work. Plenty to do, but the motivation is slightly lacking.

1 Like

Blue skies, 84 degrees, sunny and a little humid here. Sorry.

1 Like

I’m jealous!!! I’ve seen a few documentaries about Biltmore … I would love to see it in person. :heart: Do feel free to share pics if the Mrs is willing :wink:

Every single one of my friends that visited Asheville ended up moving there. Not sayin, just sayin.

1 Like

Someone just sent me this. Thought I’d share.

cold

2 Likes

lmaooo … that’s a good one :smiley:

My Niece lives on the coast in NC … after my visit there last year … I would love to move there too lol :smiley:

Can you say “Hurricanes?”

2 Likes

Apparently, it’s turning (or has turned) into a hip, happening city. Western North Carolina is a mountain biking destination, which appeals to me. But we have way too many friends, family, and clients where we are to move.

1 Like

Yep … happens there a lot … that is about the only thing keeping me where the air hurts my face lol :smiley:

I was in Texas for one hurricane season … and that was enough. It was pretty scary when the warnings would come. I lucked out. We never had a an evac issued. But, it’s happened… a lot. Where I was in Palacios, was pretty much under water a couple years ago. And every few years gets hit really bad. People just keep rebuilding.

My Niece has come home 2x for hurricane evacs and went to a friends in Tennessee for another that did a lot of damage down there. Luckily all those times she had no damage. Whew!

Really? It’s November 11, not January 11. I’ve barely started to rake leaves.

1 Like

snowing on and off again here too. It’s not amounting to much … thankfully :wink:

It’s had a great reputation for 30 years now.

1 Like

I was mountain biking with a friend outside of Asheville – this goes back probably 10 years. When you’re mountain biking in a remote or semi-remote area and you come across other mountain bikers, you’ll frequently talk for a bit. We started to talking to a couple of other bikers about Asheville, and one of them sort of blurts out, “There’s no jobs here.” Almost like he was warning us against moving there – or trying to talk us out of moving – even though neither myself or my friend were talking about moving. It was sort of strange.

2 Likes

Sounds like a run-in with The Maestro

3 Likes

Yep, exactly.

1 Like