Happy Dandelion Friday! 🍃

A lot of folks call them pesky weeds and eyesores on our lawns. To kids, the dandelion is a flower to gather and bring home to mom or fun to watch float through the air when gone to seed. But, dandelions are oh so much more than just a weed.

Dandelion is a plant with yellow flowers. Taraxacum officinale is the most common variety of this plant, and it grows in many parts of the world. Dandelion leaves are edible, and are savored in soups and salads. It is rich in vitamins A, B, C, and D. Dandelions are used in making wine and for tea, too. People use the leaves, stem, flower, and root of the dandelion for medicinal purposes. Here is a health related article to read. :slight_smile:

There are tons of Dandelion recipes out there. Here are a couple.

Dandelion Leaf Tea

(one of many on the page)

dandelion-tea-2%20(2)

You can make a quick cup of dandelion tea from the leaves in your own garden.

Step 1: Harvest and Prepare Leaves

Harvest six leaves from the dandelion plant. Choose only the leaves that are young and tender. You’ll end up with bitter leaves and bitter tea if you use more mature dandelion leaves. Rinse the leaves well under running water and pat dry with a towel. Cut the leaves into small pieces or grind gently with a muddler to release flavor and healthy compounds. Add the leaves to your tea cup.

Step 2: Heat Water

Bring water to a rolling boil and pour into your cup. Steep the dandelion tea for 5 to 10 minutes. Taste every 30 seconds after the first 5 minutes to ensure flavor your enjoy.

Step 3: Sweeten (Optional)

You can drink your dandelion leaf tea as-is or sweeten it using coconut oil, honey, or brown sugar. Keep the sweeteners to a minimum to preserve the healthy nature of this tea and avoid turning it into a calorie-dense beverage. You can also flavor your dandelion tea naturally by adding a slice of lemon or orange.

Dandelion Jelly

overhead-1-of-1-3

Ingredients

• 2 cups dandelion petals
  • 4 cups water
  • 4 cups sugar
  • 2 Tbs. lemon juice
  • 1 box powdered pectin

Instructions

1. Cut the green part of the flower off and place the petals into a quart canning jar.
  2. Pour 4 cups of boiling water over the flower petals. Allow them to cool and then place into the fridge for 24 hours.
  3. Strain the flowers well and squeeze out as much dandelion tea as possible.
  4. Place into a large pot 3 1/2 to 4 cups of dandelion tea, lemon juice and pectin. Bring it to a boil.
  5. Add sugar and return to a boil while string. Boil the jelly for 1 to 2 minutes.
  6. Remove from the heat and pour into canning jars. Process for 10 minutes in a boiling water bath canner or according to your altitude.

On a personal note … IT’S F$%#@#@!!! SNOWING! lol :smiley: :smiley:

I know it won’t last long … but it’s always a bummer when we see MORE snow in April :wink:

HAVE A GREAT WEEKEND GANG!!!

1 Like

If dandelions weren’t such prolific spreaders, I’m sure we would all be planting them in our gardens. They’re easy to grow, they bloom all summer, the flowers are really quite pretty and even the seeds are cool.

On Boy Scout camps, when I was a kid, we’d boil up the leaves and eat them. They always reminded me of spinach, which was hardly a favorite, but it was still fun to make a meal out things just found in the woods.

1 Like

cooked … no thanks … I’m much the same with it seeming like cooked spinach.

Raw in a salad they are great. Much like spinach :smiley:

I’ve also had Dandelion Jelly. My Dad would make it now and again. It’s also quite good :slight_smile:

A belated happy Friday – or a happy Saturday at this point.

1 Like