Happy Friday 1/18/19

Since RKK is on a sabbatical from her Happy Friday duties, let me wish everyone a Happy Friday.

A quick search reveals today as national gourmet coffee day, national Winnie the Pooh day, and national Peking duck day.

My weekend will be a mix of chilling and maybe getting in a few extra hours of work. And it looks like I’ll be shoveling the driveway, too. More snow headed our way.

Whatever you do, I hope it’s a great one.

2 Likes

I’m working from home today due to snow on the roads. Like last weekend, I’ll be spending most of my time on freelance and typeface design work (along with shoveling driveways).

If I’m lucky, maybe I can squeeze in a three- or four-hour snowshoeing excursion up one of the canyons. I can’t wait until spring and my current workload lets up.

1 Like

Happy Friday Gang :heart:

Not much going on here at all … we are hunkering down for a supposed … HUGE snow storm this weekend. We shall see :wink:

Another working weekend. At least Saturday. We are pretty close to overbooked. Hoping to beat the snow tomorrow night. Supposed to get 16-24" depending on how much rain we get in the crossover.
I hate that kind of storm. Makes the snowblower choke if too wet or worse breaks shear pins if it ices back up.

1 Like

People like this were in the grocery store tonight.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6zaVYWLTkU
The milk case was near empty, the bread aisle was a mess, weirdly, all the canned chicken broth was pretty much gone. I felt out of place with my one gallon of milk and 2 gallons of cheap store water (for the cat, it’s all he’ll drink.) Everyone else seemed to have 2-5 gallons of milk and cases of bottled water.
Hope I’m not missing something.

2 Likes

I call it a French toast emergency . . . when the whole city runs out for bread, milk, and eggs. The truth of the matter is that my wife and I could easily eat for a week or more with the food in our house. Granted, we’d run out of milk, but worse things have happened.

1 Like

Yeah, us too Steve-O. Plenty of stuff in the pantry. But I have to work tomorrow and thought I’d do the weekly grocery run tonight so I wouldn’t have to play in the snow tomorrow night. All of the little snowflakes were already in a panic. All registers open and 5-people deep. I shoulda just left, but morning coffee is just not drinkable without milk.

1 Like

I went to our local grocery for yep … bread and milk … but only because I do every Friday LOL :smiley: And the place was mobbed. You would think winter has never happened around here before … or worse yet, we will all be snowed in for 2 weeks.

And everything is closing already. Geeesh just the expectation of 2ft of snow as a kid didn’t even afford us a snow day.

1 Like

Not only that, we had to walk to school in it.
Up hill.
Both ways.
Barefoot.
:slight_smile:

2 Likes

In Jr High School, I sometimes needed to hitch hike to school about seven miles away. We lived on a ranch and the school bus stop was about a half mile from the house. On days when I didn’t get to the stop on time, I’d need to walk an additional mile to the highway, then hitch a ride with whomever would pick me up.

Those were different times. I can’t imagine kids doing that today (for several different reasons).

1 Like

There are a LOT of things I did as a 10-14 year old that I can’t imagine kids doing today.

• riding a bike across town (about 4 miles) for Little League games.
  • hiking through the woods for miles on end
  • hiking through the woods to a place that used to be a picnic ground with rusting buildings and abandoned old early 50s cars.
  • climbing giant 80-100 ft pine trees to the top to gather pine cones
  • fishing along the river - along the railroad tracks.
  • dragging the toboggan thru the woods in winter to get to the local “Suicide Hill” (every town around here seemed to have one of those for sledding.)
    That’s just the tame stuff.
    Nowadays parents get arrested if their child is found at a playground unattended or out of line of site. So sad. In many ways.There’s too many humans out there now. And not enough DNA to go around sometimes.
1 Like

When I was a kid, it was the heyday for BMX and video games. My friends and I would get on our bikes, take off, and be gone all day. We’d ride to 7-11, spend the morning playing video games and sucking down Big Gulps and then spend the afternoon riding around looking for jumps and ramps. Our parents never thought twice about it. Good times.

2 Likes