Happy May Day!

I haven’t celebrated in many years. But, as kid we would make little May Day baskets with candy and paper flowers and hang them on the door of every neighbor. We would save all our little milk cartons from school lunches and the handles were pipe cleaners. We covered them in construction paper and lots of glue :smiley:

I’m not all that familiar with May Day, but, what the heck, Happy May Day right back at ya!

1 Like

There’s a group of women in town that sell them every Easter/May. Little stitched up fabric things with a plastic cup and wire armature. Cute little things.
I’m not sure anyone understands what they are for any more.
Even I forgot about the door knob thing until you just reminded me.

1 Like

The first of May usually signifies spring and warm weather for me, but today we woke up to an inch of snow on the ground. Here it is mid-morning and it still hasn’t melted off. All my pear tree blossoms look wilted and dead. Oh, well.

1 Like

No snow here, but we’ve been having a cool, wet spring. I am planning to sneak out of work this afternoon to mow the grass. It’s supposed to rain this evening, Thursday, and Friday. If it doesn’t get mowed today, it will be a complete bear to mow on Saturday.

1 Like

iirc May Day is the modern equivilant of the Greek and Roman spring solstice festivities. After doing some research I found out it extended much further north and never became a holiday because the Puritans forbid it’s practice. Now it’s internationally a workers and laborers day but it’s not the same, only in name.

2 Likes