Happy "Not Feelin' It" Friday :)

Too much going on right now. I can’t do a big posting. :wink:

Happy Friday and …

Have A Great Weekend Gang!

Holy cow, I just checked the weather forecast and it’s supposed to snow here in Salt Lake City on Sunday. So much for fall weather. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:
:mountain_snow: :snowboarder: :snowflake: :snowman: :cloud_with_snow:
Oh well, it will warm up again — it’s no where near ski season yet. Besides, it will make a good weekend to stay indoors and get some neglected work done around the house.

1 Like

That was a quick Fall for you folks … wow! :fearful:

I was jamming on a project all afternoon and didn’t get to say this sooner . . . so Happy Friday, folks. I hope it has been a good one.

1 Like

Happy Friday!

It’s Saturday over here and I’ve had a good day. Woke up not too hungover, had bacon and egg croissants for breakfast, worked for a couple of hours, went on a long walk to pick up donuts, came home, ate donuts, practiced a hobby, played with rabbits and worked for another hour or so. Now I’m about to get ready for family dinner of all-you-can-eat Korean barbecue. Quite a delicious day, full of work and play.

3 Likes

Happy Day After Friday!
The only thing good about this Friday was it was payday.
Weekend looks promising. Dinner with friends tonight and football tomorrow afternoon.

Buda, hope you took some pictures of that Korean BBQ food. Would love to hear about it!

1 Like

Yeah. So would I.

My Friday was like any other Fridays. At my age it’s a jolly good thing.

1 Like

Gah! I didn’t take any photos! Sorry.

Basically you get a cooker in the middle and you go grab any meat you want to cook from the buffet. Best meats are the marinated ones, they seem to cook a bit faster too. Pork, beef, chicken, lamb, squid and prawns. My favourites would be the marinated pork belly and the super thin cut marinated beef.

This pic is one someone else took from the place we went to:

Enjoy with kimchi and a million types of pickles, plus they have this fermented Korean barbecue sauce which is a delicious hit of umami.

They have heaps of cooked food in the buffet too which you can graze on while you wait for your meat to cook including two kinds of deep fried chicken wings which we shamelessly gorged on. I mean, if I just ate all-you-can-eat on chicken wings and some sides I would be pretty happy. They kept the wings coming so they were nice and hot. I’ve been to places where they don’t replenish the wings regularly so they are often cold or unavailable.

$25NZ per person ($16US). They gave us a 2 hour slot but we were done in an hour.

2 Likes

We don’t have anything like that around here :frowning:

It looks fabulous! :slight_smile:

That looks REAL tasty! Marinated meats are some of the best food things on Earth.

I’ve never tried Korean food. Around here it’s mostly Tandoori, or Japanese or, few and far between, authentic Chinese food (not the Americanized version.)

1 Like

Here in Toronto, I’ve been to Korean restaurants a few times, but they were all sit-down, served-and-pampered type. Barbecue-your-own is a great idea … well, if you screw up, you have nobody to blame but yourself.

Beautiful photo, Buda. Made my mind up for me!

1 Like

I wonder if there are liability issues to consider. A restaurant with sizzling hot barbeque grills built into the middle of the tables (if that’s what this is) sounds like a recipe for a few ER visits.

1 Like

I grew up with those family dinners, but around here it’s called ‘gourmet’. My mom would always prepare a lot of food and sauces for that evening.
It was my favorite kind of thing, especially during winter time, but the focus was really on all sorts of meat you could think of.
I’m vegetarian now and I don’t like to engage into that anymore.
Same with bbq, sadly people usually don’t get it if you don’t want to come and eat your veggie burger from the same blood and grease filled grill. Guess I totally ruined family and friends dinners :stuck_out_tongue: haven’t made my mind up on how I feel about an all vegetarian barbeque either…

2 Likes

Since I’ve never been to one I don’t know how to answer that, but if that passes health and safety inspection I am going to assume there is a workable procedure and precess to deal with this kind of things. Right now my brain is filled with nothing but food.

2 Likes

What about your stomache :thinking: ?

2 Likes

That’ll be after my first visit.

1 Like

I’m betting this is more like a Hibachi experience here. A chef prepares the food for you at the table.
Buda mentioned hitting the buffet while the meat cooked.
Mmmmm…Hibachi…might have to go for supper some time this week.

1 Like

No, I don’t believe so. Other countries aren’t like us with the bubble wrap around everyone lol :wink:

I’ve seen many pics from folks in Korean BBQ,s and other Asian eating places and they are indeed cooking their own food at their own table. They purchase the ingredients and it’s brought to them … but the patrons cook their own.

@Buda , correct me if I am wrong please :heart:

For Korean BBQ you have a cooker on your own table and you do the cooking. Cooking together makes dining very sociable. It’s not fast food, it is part entertainment.

It’s not like hibachi (we call this teppanyaki) where the chef cooks for you.

Around the world, people cook over hot flames and grills. You just learn to be careful at a young age. When you remove danger for the sake of HEALTH AND SAFETY, people act stupid or never learn how to behave around fire. Yes, you should be careful around fire and hot grills.

Grill = hot = don’t touch.

My family did hotpot or steamboat at home. This is when you have a boiling pot of water in the middle of the table with raw food like meat, seafood, noodles and vegetables around the pot. You cook your own food as you graze. Though parents will most likely cook for their children. The broth at the end of a meal is insanely good. Always have to leave a little stomach space for a bowl of rich broth. Never had an accident in 35 years of various generations of people eating around a boiling pot. It can be dangerous, the pot is connected to a cord that could potentially be tripped on, sending the boiling water flying across the room. But yeah, just be careful.

2 Likes

Thanks Buda :heart: I thought that was how it was done. It’s part of why I would love to have a place like that around here. I’ve always been of the mind that cooking should be a social event. I love it when we have times of everyone gathered around the kitchen. I have such a tiny space now that I can’t do that much anymore. A little something here and there with the kids. But, that’s another story lmao :smiley:

Maybe I can start a petition to demand a Korean BBQ here :smiley: … I will say there are a few places that offer that particular name as part of the wares they sell … but it’s not the same. You can walk around a big buffet type table with tons of bins and pic out what you want and bring it up to the guy who cooks it. You can request Pho or just eat it as you asked him to prepare it. I want to sit around the table and do my own dangit! :smiley:

1 Like