Happy Pecan Pie Friday! 🥧 07/12/19

Guess what day it is? It’s …

NATIONAL PECAN PIE DAY

Pecan%20Pie%20Day1

Grab a slice and celebrate National Pecan Pie Day! Mix up the ingredients using primarily corn syrup, pecan nuts, salt, and vanilla. Occasionally, recipes vary by including sugar syrup and molasses or maple syrup. Other additions include chocolate and bourbon whiskey in some regions of the country. Top it all off with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream.

Pecan pie is considered a specialty of Southern U.S. cuisine.

Many attempts to trace the origins of the pecan pie have not been successful. The earliest dated recipes come from 1897. However, claims of the pie being made in the early 1800s in Louisiana exist. One of the earliest recipes for a pecan pie appeared in the Lady’s Home Journal in 1897. The recipe for the “Texas Pecan Pie” was later reprinted in several newspapers across the country. It included six ingredients – sugar, sweet milk, pecan kernels, eggs, and flour. The recipe is basically directions for a custard base, unlike the pecan pies we know today.

Well-known cookbooks such as Fannie Farmer and The Joy of Cooking did not include this dessert until 1940. By then, Karo syrup found its way to the pantry shelves. Of course, the makers of the sweet syrup increased the popularity of pecan pie. Their company claimed the pie was a “discovery” in the 1930s by a corporate sales executive’s wife as a “new use for corn syrup.”

Pecan%20Pie

Cheers To A Great Weekend Everyone! :heart:

weekend

1 Like

This is going to be a great day. Solid day of work ahead of me, dinner with the extended family at my mom’s house, and we get to see my oldest son’s band play tonight.

1 Like

Sounds like a great day for sure! :slight_smile:

I just made French Toast for breakfast since Lady Mia is here today :wink: :smiley:

1 Like

What kind of music do they play? What’s the name of the band?

Been playing bass since I was 14 and like to keep up with newer music in general.

1 Like

For privacy purposes, I’ll withhold the name of the band.

They are a cover band that focuses on blues / rock. Think Stevie Ray Vaughan. My son plays lead electric. He’s been playing for close to 15 years and is quite talented, if I do say so myself.

1 Like

That’s cool. I get it. SRV is a great player to emulate. The best tone of any guitar player ever imo.

1 Like

Pecan pie is legitimately one of my favorite things to eat. :pie:

1 Like

Taking off a whole 23 minutes early. Woot, woot! Have a good one, gang.

1 Like

A few pics of my son doing his thing.

1 Like

He has great taste in guitars! A hollow body electric Gibson and a nice telecaster. sweet.

1 Like

I used to have an Ampeg SVT Serial # 002068. First year, Blue Line, all original tubes.

An escaped mental patient lit my house on fire the night before my graduation from college. Now I have a little Hartke since I don’t play out anymore. Big enough for jamming and as a stage monitor, but man do I miss my SVT.

1 Like

That’s awesome Steve! :slight_smile:

1 Like