Happy Pi Day!šŸ„§

pi

biggrin

6 Likes

My favourite is Steak and Kidney Pi.

1 Like

I could go for a Raspberry Pi right about now.
But we had Bourbon Cake last night for dessert, thatā€™ll have to do.

1 Like

I used to love these things back in the day. Not sure my body would handle them very well at this point in life.

1 Like

Huh, I thought Hostess went toes up?
I havenā€™t seen real Hostess fruit pies in years. At least not at the gas stations where I used to buy them (Cherry or Lemon only - and never seen blackberry)

1 Like

I have vague recollections of seeing them in stores, so I think they still sell them. I always preferred apple (first choice) or cherry.

1 Like

Sweet stuff has never been my thing. No worries there.

Our Walmart still sells a lot of Hostess products. They have a few of the fruit pies but only in multi packs. I havenā€™t seen the individual ones in ages. I used to love to get one on my way home from school back in the early 1500ā€™s

biggrin

I especially liked the chocolate pudding variety and the lemon.

The old Hostess went out of business, but some of its assets were acquired by a new company that was formed and also named Hostess. Hereā€™s what Wikipedia says.

Itā€™s been a long time since Iā€™ve eaten anything made by Hostess. In a pinch, sometimes I would buy a lemon or blackberry pie out of a vending machine. Other times, they sort of grossed me out. Reading the list of ingredients on Hostess products should be enough to convince almost anyone that theyā€™re not actually food.

1 Like

I grew up with not much extra to go around. We never went hungry ā€¦ but there was little to no sweets in the house. Yes, I know thatā€™s ā€˜ā€˜healthierā€™ā€™ - but, to a kid who just wants something sweet and feel like they are getting a treat you couldnā€™t beat 4 for a buck. If I made a little babysitter money I could get all us kids a treat and felt like I was a millionaire. Nutrition had very little to do with my choice as a youngster. Especially one with a dollar burning a hole in my pocket :wink:

I generally follow the rule that you should eat food from a plant (or animal) rather than food made in a plant. So, no I havenā€™t eaten one of these in years. But back in the day, they sure tasted good.

1 Like

If we go back far enough to when I was in elementary school, my mom worked in a small grocery store near the school. Iā€™d head over there for lunch and fill myself up with Hostess Cupcakes, Twinkies, and Dr. Pepper. Iā€™m not quite sure what she was thinking, but I suppose that kind of lunch made it easier on her. Iā€™ve given up the Hostess stuff, but Dr. Pepper is still my drink of choice. :wink:

1 Like

I forgot about the Hostess Cupcakes. I was an icing peeler. Peel that stuff off the top and save it for last because it was the best part.

2 Likes

Since we are strolling down memory lane, this is my favorite Hostess treat from way back then.

zinger

I did however prefer the Dolly Madison ā€œRazzysā€ as they were round and somehow round tasted better lol :smiley:

dollym

1 Like

My wife is mexican and introduced me to these which, IMO, are sort of a blend between a twinkie and a hostess cupcake, and then throw in a jelly filled donut. They also have them as round cakes too, same filling and coating. Here in Texas you can find them fairly easy, Iā€™m not sure how common they are throughout the US.

3 Likes

Never heard of them. They look good though :smiley:

They are tasty. But as @Steve_O and @Just-B mentioned, they are not exactly chock full of natural ingredients. Just donā€™t mind all the artificialness.

LOL ā€¦ I grew up in the 70ā€™s ā€¦ Artificial goodness is what held me together :grin:

2 Likes
2 Likes

Instant ramen became popular in the 70s I think. We called it ā€œpackaged chemicalsā€. In spite of that, it was (and still is) deathly addictive. Every few months or so Iā€™d have a desperate craving for a ramen fix, then Iā€™d be good for another few months more.

1 Like