Happy Thanks #Vegan Day!

A fast food chain in the UK recently introduced a vegan sausage roll. It quickly became their best seller. Other franchises are following suit. I approve, having been a vegetarian for 36 years but my brother was puzzled. ‘I can’t eat that’ he said ‘I’m not a vegan’. I laughed and pointed out that a cheese sandwich is vegetarian and he loves those. He got the point.

**** Edit … it’s the Impossible Burger not Beyond (thanks HB)

Speaking of cheese…

Burger King is providing the Beyond Burger for those who prefer a meatless diet. I haven’t tried it yet … but several friends and family have who wanted to see what it was like. As suspected there is a suspicious plant based taste lol … but overall they said it was not a bad burger and they would get it again. If you want it totally vegan you need to tell them before hand and they will hold the cheese and mayo :wink:

I don’t do fast food very often … but, I’m tempted to try this to see what’s what for myself.

Sorry RKK, but being a natural editor-jerk, I have to set this one straight. To be clear, Burger King has launched the Impossible Burger recipe in the “Impossible Whopper”.
I haven’t tried it, and I may never, simply because I never go to Burger King.

Beyond is a different company, different brand, and a different recipe. Their burger I have tried, both in a restaurant and on my own grill, and it’s delicious. It probably doesn’t taste exactly like ground beef, but if anything, perhaps it tastes a little better. The texture is certainly comparable. Beyond also makes plant-based sausage alternatives that I’d strongly recommend, even to those who eat meat. It cooks a little weird, especially at first when you don’t know what to expect, but I’ve always loved sausage of many kinds, and meat alternative or not, eating this is very pleasing.

2 Likes

LOL . you aren’t being an editor Jerk. I got it wrong plain and simple. I’m always confusing the two … thanks for setting it straight. :wink:

By the way … Beyond is the one I saw a taste test with the folks on Youtube and a couple non meat eaters couldn’t eat it … it was just too close in resemblance and taste. So, I would say they nailed it :smiley:

As a meat eater, I’ve had the impossible burger and a beyond meat burger. Both were very good IMO. I tried the beyond meat sausage and while it is slightly meaty in consistency, the flavor IMO was really good. The consistency was too soft and spongy, but the flavor made up for it.

1 Like

The stuff researchers are working on that really creeps me out, is the muscle tissue (meat) they’re starting to grow in labs. I’ve read where it could only be a few years until it’s sold in supermarkets and fast food restaurants. I don’t plan on trying it.

I wonder if we can pick which cut we want them to grow or are they just growing lumps of meat? :smiley:

It’s just so odd to me.

as long as it’s not this:

2 Likes

Odd now, it’ll be normal in 2030 :nauseated_face:
The problem is it’s still meat and I would also not want to eat it because of health reasons.
I really can’t go back to eating meat or lab grown meat, that just makes it worse, they still took it from a live animal. If they could prevent that way from thousands of animals being killed, maybe only then it would sort of be okay. Still wrong though, but one of the better options from the two I guess.
I’d just love for the vegan and vegetarian alternatives to become better because they’re healthier aswell, my guess is they would also be cheaper to produce, but I’m not a hundred percent sure on that.