Have a look my awesome book cover designs

Nope. Just practical

You appear to have taken some of my comments personally. Nothing personal was intended. Just observational, based on experience.

In terms of placement, I have some clients who insist that the title of the book must always appear in the top one third of the cover. I don’t always agree with them, but it is based on their knowledge of their business. Many of the display units books end up in, can obscure the lower 2/3 of the cover, so they want to make sure that the title is always visible.

Anyway, the last thing I want is an ego-driven bun-fight. Everyone here who contributes, does it because they want to help, not to berate anyone per se.

Good luck and as I said initially; nice work.

For me, it was such an over-the-top introductory statement that I took it as CreativeParamita making a joke, of sorts. Maybe I was wrong. There might also be a language issues involved. In either case, I let it go.

The word awesome seems to have been devalued through overuse. To me, the Grand Canyon is awesome. Mount Everest is awesome. Some photographs of landscapes returned from Mars are awesome. The enormity of Milky Way on a dark night is awesome. With book covers — even the best ones — awe isn’t an emotion that comes to mind.

Awesome just means excellent. Ya gotta change to awe-inspiring to get back to the old meaning.

I prefer humility as well. The “my awesome book covers” bit put me off to the post initially as well. The covers are good, for the most part. There are things that bother me about a couple of them, like the feet in the first book cover, but that’s just me perhaps.

Is this supposed to say “Demon Hunter”?

Screen Shot 2020-08-03 at 8.18.05 AM

I like them.

The quality of work has nothing to do with being humble or not. OR using the wrong word, in anyone’s opinion, to describe something :wink:

I’ll just leave it at that.

Damon is the name of the author.
The name of the book is Rot.

Calling out the OP in this way amounts to a personal attack which is sort of against the rules. Doesn’t matter if you don’t like the word.

1 Like

Got it. Totally missed that. I actually quite like that book cover. It’s my favorite of the bunch so I apologize for the confusion. It certainly wasn’t meant as an attack.

I’m not sure who this was directed to, PrintDriver. In case it was directed at me, I was simply making an observation and agreeing with Sprout about “humility”. If it wasn’t directed at me, then I will leave it at my apology for making a dumb observation about the ROT cover. It seems everyone here, including me, agrees the covers are well done.

It was directed at anyone being rubbed the wrong way enough to do a call out.
Here’s the thing.
If you wouldn’t tell someone they lack humility face to face, don’t do it online.

Obviously this OP doesn’t appear to have any trouble working with various people. At least 4 different authors. Who here can judge based on words in a forum post?

Gonna drop it as I have no skin in this game.
Other than the fact that I wouldn’t describe my finished product as anything short of awesome either. At least, my clients think so and write comments to that effect. Maybe the OP’s clients think their work is awesome too and the descriptor is being carried over. Roll with it.

I would have.

As I said initially this could well be a case of the old ‘divided by a common language’ thing. As a Brit, I’d never describe my own work in anything like those terms. That is for my clients and results to do, on this side of the pond, it would come across as more than a little conceited and even a touch crass.

It definitely wasn’t intended as a personal slight. With the transatlantic caveat in play, if someone (a Brit) approached me for work using that sort of language, they would often be displaying fairly hefty levels of arrogance and experience tells me designers and self-importance are a toxic combination in any studio.

I definitely did not intend to cause any offence and definitely not intend for this to become on of those ping-pong discussions, so let’s just agree to put it down to cultural differences.

For what it’s worth, the IP address of the original poster pointed to a place far removed from the shores of our mutual pond, which is why I mentioned a possible language issue. I haven’t kept track, but my best guess is that around half the new forum members come from non-English-speaking countries. I’m just mentioning this because it’s something to keep in mind when reading posts from new forum members who might mangle a phrase or give a new meaning to a word or two.

At least we can claim to be “The GDF World Series” and actually mean it.