Hello!

Hello . I’m New To Being A Graphic Designer, I’m Actually Self-taught. I’m Starting Up A Business & Wanted To Get Myself Out There. Any Advice/tips I’m Open To It

Moderator note: I’ve moved your post to its own topic.

1 Like

Hi and welcome.

You say you are self-taught and want to start a business. Do you have any experience working in the industry. If not, before you even think about starting a business, go and get 5 years’ experience working in a design studio.

That way you will learn how to do it and what not to do. It will be well worth it in the long run.

New to graphic design + self taught ≠ paid client work

Will you be informing prospective clients that you have no formal training and no experience?

2 Likes

I…I give up.

1 Like

If you’re new to graphic design and trying to start a business with no experience. You’ll need all the luck you can get.

There is really no need to set body text in title case, for crying loud.

2 Likes

It’s an over-saturated market; consider a different line of work. Should you choose to ignore that advice, you can succeed under one of two scenarios. One, you do absolutely killer work and are coming up with creative solutions that will blow people away. Two, you do average work but you’re willing to bust your butt, put in long hours on business development, and live meagerly while building up your book of business.

2 Likes

But neither of those options will lead to success without good knowledge and experience. Some would help. None is suicide.

Actually, the more I think about it, the more ridiculous it sounds. It just wouldn’t work in any other profession.

‘I’m a self-taught electrician/lawyer/doctor/mechanic/etc with no qualifications or experience. I’m starting a business.’

This would be both stupid and illegal. Unfortunately, because our industry isn’t regulated in any way, this is just one of those two things. Beggars belief really, but sadly an all too common story…