Help Deciding On Which Program

Hi everyone - I’ve not had any formal graphics design training but i’m really interested in it. In my current job I was given the task of creating e-mail banners and little infographs. So the tools I used were just MS Excel and MS PowerPoint. My company offers either Phtotoshop elements v14 or Photoshop Lightroom 6.8. Which of the two would be better for me as a novice and for creating icons, infographs and e-mail and intranet page banners?

Thanks!

I’d say neither is ideal, but Photoshop Elements is probably closer to being the correct tool for raster image creation. The two apps will have some feature overlap, but Lightroom is more like a tool for making adjustments to image dumps from a camera.

For that, you really should have a vector graphics tool. Until you’re ready for something deeper, I recommend you download and splash around in Inkscape.

1 Like

Thanks! I just took a look at our available software and Inkscape v.91 is available. I’ll check out the link you listed and also see if I can find some tutorials. I appreciate your response.

I agree with HotButton — a full version of Photoshop would be best, but given the choices, Photoshop Elements is probably best. Lightroom is largely geared toward the needs of photographers than designers.

For most anything other than photos and photo illustrations, vector applications, like Adobe Illustrator and InDesign, are the tools you need. Inkscape is a free vector app, but it can be a pain in the butt to use. Affinity Designer and Affinity Publisher are significant steps up from there and lots cheaper than a subscription to Illustrator and InDesign.

1 Like

Thanks for your response, Just-B! Since Inkscape is free, I’ll give that a shot first.

This was meant for you HotButton :smile: