Help! | Game UI Design

So, i wanna know how to advanced game user interfaces but i don’t know how will i learn to make them. Like what should i learn? How will i make my ideas come true? Can anyone give me a tutorial link or something because i’m trying to find one for YEARS and still can’t find any. Or maybe should i learn just graphic design?

I think you’re underestimating the complexity of what you’re asking about.

Four years of higher education focusing on digital interface design, plus working for several years at a game software company under the direction of professional game UI developers would be the usual route.

It’s not possible to reduce that down to a tutorial — the work involves too many skills, too much knowledge, too much experience, and covers too many disciplines. There are no shortcuts or quick courses to learn such a thing.

I know several Ui and UX developers who work or have worked at game companies. Typically, they last for a few years, get tired of it, then look for something a little less stressful and competitive. All, however, paid their dues by graduating from university design programs, then worked their way up through a series of related jobs…

I agree with Just-B.

Linkedin Learning has a free months trial

There’s plenty of topics there. You might try it for a month and see if it’s for you. If it is you can continue with a paid membership.

However, Just-B is correct, get a formal eduaction through a college/university/ reputable learning centre where you can get a degree/diploma and/or also get on the job training.

It’s a long way to go.

More accurately this link

what program should i learn for interface designing? i’m designing web uis for like 4 years already but game designing just isn’t like web. all textures and stuff just makes me go crazy and i wanna learn them actually so what should i learn?

i think i won’t be able to learn textures etc. with that

As Just-B mentioned, UI for games is very different from websites and applications and it requires a different set of skills, understanding, and workflow. The most surefire way is to apply for a game company as an intern or as a junior-level designer and work your way around the discipline under the guides of senior designers. That or you could check around your area and see if there are any schools offering full-time courses for game design. Though I could tell you for sure that designing for games is stressful (and there are also many ridiculous deadlines as well).

As for the tools, I do believe Photoshop and Illustrator are still the primary software when it comes to designing game interfaces. Unless there are any special requirements and guidelines, these two tools should be more than enough to carry your career. As someone working in game development, however, even if you are a designer, learning more about a game engine is also a must. Unreal Engine, Unity are two of the most popular engines right now but there are also companies using custom/internal engines for development.

Most (if not all) of the game UI’s components are actually 2D components anyway (so any tools that allow you to create 2D graphics is enough, Photoshop, Illustrator, Paint Tool SAI, GIMP, just to name a few), but if you are interested in 3D modeling, Blender and Autodesk’s 3DS Max are the industry’s primary choice, with ZBrush (and for some companies, Rhinoceros) coming in as the secondary choices. For 3D Texturing, I believe Substance (I believe Adobe renamed it to Adobe Substance 3D?) is the primary choice. Again, Game UI Designers rarely have to deal with 3D components unless in special cases so it’s beneficial but not a must to learn these tools. Some understanding about animation is also beneficial so tools like After Effects and Animate (or if you are into a niche market: Live2D) are also worth the time.

Honestly, as a former game developer (with over 10 years of experience… much longer than graphic design yeah), I’m not sure I get what you mean by learning about textures because the only texture I could think of is the textures for 3D models. And as I said before, it’s very rare for game UI designers to have to work with 3D components. Maybe you could clarify things a bit more clearly?

things like that

These are all basic UI elements/components that you could easily create using any software I’ve listed. There are no textures in use here.
If you are talking about the character, however, it’s something you’ll have to work together with a developer and a character modeler but basically, you can just put a placeholder there and ask the people in charge to create an additional function to reflect the character in the place you intended to.

i mean they are not basic shapes they look very good shadings shadowings etc. i wanna learn that but dunno how to. i have a drawing tablet btw

Okay, I think I kinda get what you are looking for.

It seems that you are looking to learn how to draw elements that are artistic and require additional skillsets instead of just basic UI designing skills. It also seems that you still lack understanding regarding the professional terms we use in game development and that caused the initial confusion.

As I said before, there would be no free courses or YouTube videos that could teach you everything that you need. A proper game designing course where they teach you the basics of sketching, conceptualizing, refining, in addition to deepening your understanding regarding the different elements and phases in game development would be absolutely much better so I still recommend you going to a proper school if possible. That and also a lot of practice.

If you really do want to only learn more about shading and lightings then I would recommend looking for courses in Concept Art (not game UI design) as those skills are the most vital parts in concept arts and there are many techniques you could apply to other practices as well (in this case, game UI design). Most of the courses I know do not teach shadings and lightings for game UI because most of the time, the lecturers assume that learners already know these fundamental skills. So there you go, if you really want to learn more about lightings, shadings, applying textures into visual elements then concept art is definitely something you should lookup.

P/S: Just for your information, these types of game UI that you are looking to create are generally frowned upon by large game development studios. Similar to the debates of “how many tris (triangles) or vertices are enough,” game UI also needs to be light and functional without affecting the game’s performance. When you decide to add shadings like the one you showed here, it forces the developers to create multiple versions for different resolutions, making the game heavier. That or you’ll have to create a stunning high resolution set of UI elements and have it scaled down to fit certain screen sizes. In this case, it makes the game UI harder to be implemented, and it will certainly affect the game’s overall performance especially on smaller size devices (as you won’t be able to see any difference using a 4K texture on a 720p resolution screen, but the file size is 8x larger, slowing the device down). The ongoing trend right now is to create a “generative” UI that is possible to create using codes and basic elements. These are more dynamics, easier to implement, and lighter. A few examples would be from games like Battlefield, Call of Duty, etc. If I remember correctly, SQEX’s Final Fantasy VII Remake also employed the generative techniques so that is definitely something you should look out for.

1 Like