Hi fellow Designers. I have a few questions to as

This is for a small assignment i got to gather information from other designers. Please feel free to answer.

Ok here goes…

1. What are common misconceptions about Visual Communication Design?

2. What attributes should a student have or learn to become a successful visual communication designer?

3. What are the crucial steps to follow in communication design process?

4. What work do visual communication design graduates look for when they’ve completed a degree?

5. How does a communication design strategy impact the design process of a visual communication designer?

You don’t have to answer them all at one you can pick one and answer that or do them all. Your help will be appreciated .

Thank you lots

1. Cell processes could serve as good reference [1] in simple terms to communicate with some audience You need to catch their mental circuitry and/or needs, or maybe what triggers their attention depending what You are after … dont take my response as valid answer but do check BiFo link for more scientific elaboration!
1 Like
  • What are common misconceptions about Visual Communication Design?

Visual Communication Design aka Graphic Design, the greatest misconception is that you can make a living at it any more and that there are jobs out there for all the graduates coming out of all the colleges. Do your Due Diligence in researching this as a viable job option. There are thousands of fresh graduates out there competing for, at best, a few hundred jobs. A second misconception is that you get to ‘do art’ all day. What you actually get to do is create something that will sell your client’s stuff to other people. It has absolutely NOTHING to do with your artistic wants and needs. Graphic Design is a commodity to be sold. Nothing more. For an example, I am currently in the process of printing large format fabric graphics for a very large corporate show. In two weeks, all of the stuff that was created will go into the recyling dumpster (polyester fabric can be recycled.) It’s ephemeral. It’s gone when it’s completed its purpose.

• What attributes should a student have or learn to become a successful visual communication designer?

I believe a design student should have at least some skill in drawing, to understand how imagery, typography and color relate to each other. Visual hierarchy is important to understand in visual communications.

• What are the crucial steps to follow in communication design process?

Depends on the job. And what you are producing for your client. It’s a constant learning experience. Generally interview and research, followed by storyboarding, followed by fleshing out on the computer, followed by finishing and producing the product.

• What work do visual communication design graduates look for when they’ve completed a degree?

Whatever they can get? Seriously have a very focused idea on what part of this field you want to enter. Making Brochures, ‘doing logos’ and making movie posters ain’t it. Beware of any portion of the field already covered by crowdsourcing sites. Those are taking over the lower end of the field with do-it-yourself crap that is eating smaller design jobs with clients going direct themselves. Aim higher.

• How does a communication design strategy impact the design process of a visual communication designer?

I have no idea what this question is asking. Every project has a strategy that differs on the end ideal. The end result, whether it’s more clicks, more foot traffic, more money on the client’s bottom line, or something else entirely, that is what drives the design process.

2 Likes

Thank you very much yo i could not have asked for more

hm this sounds compelling [1] but think its not so factual, somehow the second quoted theory bellow is more rational … in same manner it could be said what attracts the eye is the Art thus the line between Art and GD is also tin, and further knowing that attention can be provoked even by kitsch thus per’se Graphic Design is the knowhow for technical transferring messages to/from particular medium … yet again the interpretation of the term depends from the field where that synonym is used eg. CGI where the D is dropped in favor of accenting C coz now the broader field is digital [2] so from this aspect VCD is label for branding … hm just how silly looks when on same site could be seen two different definitions!

Graphic Design
Graphic design, unlike graphics, is not a single component. Instead, it is a process of design and communication. A method that creates positive branding by considering all elements of a company’s reputation, growth, and development.

https://blueskygraphics.co.uk/what-is-the-difference-between-computer-graphics-and-graphic-design

Graphic design and visual communication: What’s the difference?
A recent study discussed the differences between graphic design and visual communication. Graphic design is described as a profession that uses images, typography, and page layout to create effective communications. Visual communication, on the other hand, is said to be a more general term that refers to any kind of communication that uses images. The study found quotes from a book by Massimo Vignelli in which he states that “graphic design is not about art. It is about solving problems.” He also goes on to say that “visual communication is more than just graphic design.”
While there may be some overlap between the two fields, there is believed to be distinct differences between them. Graphic designers typically focus on creating visually appealing communications, while visual communicators may have a broader range of skills and interests.
Graphic design and visual communication are two different, but related, disciplines. Graphic design is the process of combining text, images, and colour to create a visually appealing and effective communication piece. Visual communication is the use of images and visuals to express ideas or information

https://blueskygraphics.co.uk/is-visual-communication-the-same-as-graphic-design

1 Like

Some people enter the field with the assumption that they will get to do artsy things all day. Very few design projects provide that level of freedom. Instead, designers spend most of their effort solving problems within tight client constraints, needs, wants, budgets, time frames, etc. Very few clients and employers care about making aesthetically beautiful and innovative work. Instead, they care about selling widgets, bringing in customers, persuading people, while doing so within the framework of what they think will work.

Here are a few: curiosity, broad interests, dedication, perseverance, artistic talent, and the ability to think analytically, conceptually, and artistically. Of course, this is in addition to other qualities that are generally helpful in almost any professional field.

Carefully define the problem by listening to clients and asking them questions. Also important is the ability to look beyond what the client might have had in mind to determine what the client really needs. This involves analyzing target audiences, goals, competitors, clients’ brands, etc., to develop a strategy with goals and tactics to get from here to there.

However, a beginning designer won’t typically do all these things. For example, in an agency, a beginning designer might be assigned one piece of the project while working under the guidance of more experienced designers.

Once they complete a degree, the goal is typically to find the best available job to gain experience and prepare themselves for better jobs in the future. Much depends on what jobs are available and the type of job the job seeker wants. Starting out in this field is tough. The completion is very stiff, so a beginning job is typically less than what the job seeker might want.

I’m not quite sure I understand the question, but as I mentioned previously, developing a strategy to get from here to there is typically an important part of a design project.

I read through the information you provided and followed the links to read more. The article makes arguments based on the author’s preferred definitions of words, terms, and categories.

In addition, I disagree to varying degrees with much of what the articles state as supposed facts. For example, the following states a two-step process for logo creation that I’ve never encountered.

“A good example of this is the way that logos are created. A designer will sketch out the basic layout of a logo, and then a visual communicator will take that concept and turn it into an effective piece of communication.”

1 Like

Thank you to everyone that has contributed

“Graphic Design” and “Graphics” are two different things.
The first is what you described “a process of design and communication. A method that creates positive branding by considering all elements of a company’s reputation, growth, and development.” And then some.

Graphics on the other hand is a single piece or pile of end product of Graphic Design. It can be a poster, a TV advertisement, a billboard, an educational museum exhibit or an entire branding package.

1 Like