Hidden House Finds šŸ”Ž

Iā€™ve pulled these responses off another thread that we managed to derail pretty well lol :wink:

The first couple are copies to give it context.

There was no good way to split them off so they are quotes here and removed from sight there ā€¦ I hope that makes sense. :heart:

PrintDriver
The forum isnā€™t telling me where you posted this

RedKittieKat

FYI it took me a while to figure that out when we started with this software. If a particular forum isnā€™t chosen at the time of posting itā€™s placed in General by default. However, Discourse has it set not to show. So if itā€™s blank ā€¦ itā€™s General :wink:

PrintDriver
Kinda like finding that light switch after living in the house for almost 10 years, LOL.
(yeah, I would come in the bulkhead then go up the cellar stairs to turn on the lights. The switch downstairs was on a wall behind a door we never closed for years. Who puts a switch on the hinge side of a door?)

RedKittieKat
Itā€™s a wonder you ever found that ā€¦ how odd :flushed:

I think all older houses had some sort of Easter Egg. My parents house had a cabinet that when you opened it ā€¦ nothing. it was like someone hung a cabinet door on a wall LOL. It was very strange. We could never figure out what it could have possibly been. It didnā€™t take long for my Dad to remove it :wink:

PrintDriver
That was to remind the old occupant what part of the wall they hid that $1million dollars behindā€¦

PrintDriver
Itā€™s a wonder I still found it with all the cobwebs back there. Yikes!

Just-B
I bought a manual transmission pickup truck a couple of decades ago and drove it for, probably, four years before noticing the diagram on the gear shift knob showed a 5th gear, which I had been cursing the engineers for not including.

At least your missing light switch was hidden behind the door. My missing high gear was staring me in the face for four years.

RedKittieKat
lmao ā€¦ well when that wall came down there was no million bucks ā€¦ not even a old newspaper :wink:

PrintDriver
Friend of mine did a gut remodel of his momā€™s house when she passed.
There was a 4x6 hole punched through the plaster behind the night table in her bedroom. Didnā€™t think anything of it until he tore the wall out. Found nearly 8-grand cash in there mom kept handy. He thinks it was cash rent from another property she owned. LOL.
Derailing thread, but todayā€™s the day for it.

RedKittieKat
:flushed:

That is a great little story. Iā€™ve donā€™t know anyone who has ever found something that grand when remodeling or packing up after a parents passing.

PrintDriver
Yeah, the only thing I found when cleaning my dadā€™s place was lizard eggs. Florida. Out in what I called ā€œthe porch bedroomā€ in the sofabed linens. Yuck! And I used to sleep out there when visiting. (Shudder) Now I need a shower.

sprout

So far, when renovating our house, we have uncovered two 17th century fireplaces (one, a large inglenook In the kitchen, the other, a modest inset fireplace) hidden behind dodgy mid-20th century stud walls. We have also restored a number of original 17th century oak floors and found an 18-19th century quarry tile floor hidden below a dodgy laminate floor.

In the garden, we are constantly unearthing impressive bits of stonework which will have come from the castle (originally built in the 1200s) which is behind and above the house, After the castle was destroyed, following the English civil war in the mid 1600s, as often happens when castles are sacked, the stone is ā€˜acquiredā€™ to build local houses, as is the case with the majority of our place.

The main things we have found In the garden so far are a stone carved Celtic cross which is about 2ft across, a gothic quatrefoil corbel and lots of dressed and carved lintel stones. Just this week, when I was rebuilding a small dry stone wall at the back of a flower bed, we came across what appears to be a three-pointed, simple fleur-de-lys pinnacle decoration of some sort.

We never cease to be amazed by it. You canā€™t help but try to imagine the people actually carving this stuff with fairly rudimentary tools, almost 800 years ago. How they built entire castles, Iā€™ll never know, lifting and positioning the fairly large rocks in our modest stone garden walls was back-breaking enough!

PrintDriver
Sprout, finding those things in your own house and garden sounds so cool. The UK has always fascinated me. Can you get grants there to do restorations to things like that or does that open huge cans of worms with regulation and such?
We have totally destroyed this thread. Maybe RKK or B should split it off this poor OPā€™s Logo thread.

sprout
I did think, when I was writing, that weā€™d gone a little off piste here!

There are some heritage grants for some important old buildings, but in the main, what happens is that if a building is of some historical Importance the government puts a listing on it of grade 2 or grade 1 (the latter for nationally-important buildings). The listing means that you can repair or replace like for like, and restore, but you canā€™t really change the building without permissions. For example, you canā€™t just go and slap a conservatory or an extension on it.

Grade two largely deals with the exterior and the interior structure. Grade one is much more restrictive and includes everything. Usually the cost of this is at the owners expense and it can get pricey, as you have to use the right materials. Not a bad thing, as you do see some shocking things done to some beautiful old houses. This, for example, had loads,of MDF and plywood additions along with plasterboard slapped over 300 year old timbered and lime-plastered walls. 17th century oak doors painted lilac. It all ends up as quite a labour of love, but it is satisfying to expose and clean up the original fabric of the building.

If they are looked after, they are such solid buildings, as they are usually pretty over-built with massive 300 year old oak beams that can bend a nail if you try to hammer them in.

@PrintDriver
@sprout
@Just-B

I think I fixed it ā€¦ sort of lmao :wink:

and Sprout ā€¦ what treasures! I would be digging up the whole yard :smiley:

Yeah, me too!
One of my favorite TV shows was Time Team. It was too bad they only had so much money per episode to do a digā€¦but I suppose in the UK, one dig could last for years if you didnā€™t have a cut off of some kind. Interesting stuff.

1 Like

I never heard of this showā€¦ I looked it up and Amazon has it ā€¦ going to check it out :wink:

Wow, I didnā€™t expect that programme would have had much notice across the pond. Itā€™s a bit niche. Has a US version of it been made, or did you watch the UK ones?

A few years back an archeologist friend of mine appeared on it. Yesterday evening I was having a zoom pint with him and a couple of friends. Heā€™d been for a walk earlier in the day near a local river and found a small piece of Roman (French) pottery near what had been a settlement dating back as far the Iron Age, about 1/2 a mile from the current village. I guess because he knows what heā€™s looking for, he finds loads of artefacts, arrow heads, Roman coins, etc.

1 Like

Itā€™s the UK version. I watched a couple tonight and one had Suzannah Lipscomb helping to put a date on an old castle and chapel in Upton. Anyhoo. I love her and all her documentaries. :slight_smile:

The one I watched was the UK show.
I donā€™t think we have one like that here in the US. We have dumb stuff like the Kardashians and Masked Singers. :roll_eyes:

Besides, our history only goes back a couple hundred years. Beyond that and you get into indigenous peoples and you donā€™t want to be disturbing that.

1 Like

Iā€™ve seen a few documentaries about pre-european archaeology in the USA and Canada - all run by or in co-operation with First Nation scientists and elders. Ancient Pueblo settlements in Arizona and Utah, Fremont rock art in Eastern Utah and so on. Absolutely fascinating stuff. A lot of the nations are doing this as a way to learn about their own past and solidify their ties to the land.

1 Like

Very few and far between though. I can totally understand First Nations not wanting their ancestors disturbed. The Time Team always goes into detail how they treat the graves they find with respect. Thereā€™s another whole layer of respect that goes into dealing with First Nations. Iā€™ve been on a few historical site museum projects that have had to go through those approvals. Theyā€™re tough, but fair.

1 Like

Iā€™m going to find all sorts of room in my house when my kids move out and take all of their stuff.

1 Like

I dunno Steve-o, my parents moved out first.
Well, they left us ā€œkidsā€ in the house for 5 years while Dad was posted in Egypt. We did have to move out when they came back though. Too many adult personalities in too small a space.

1 Like