Home printing issue

Trying to solve this on behalf of my mom, who is frustrated printing from Firefox. She wants to print recipes but 99% of the time the browser doesn’t communicate well with the printer and it ends up garbled. She’s using a mid-2010 iMac with Firefox 115.4.0 on High Sierra 10.13.6. I’ve tried every possible way to get fix it–changing print parameters, printing from the print dialog box, opening as Preview, saving as PDF. Same issue every time, which means it’s a Firefox problem.

Oddly, when I print on MY computer (late 2015 iMac running Montere 12.6.9 and Firefox 118.0.2) it prints fine.

She CAN print normally from a different browser but insists she wants Firefox. Honestly, at this point I would at least like to be able to explain why it’s not working, at the very least. (Also, ignore that I was printing on the back of junk paper. Trying to save trees).

I don’t know the answer, but compatibility problems are always possible with an old computer running an older operating system.

It looks like a font problem, though. Have you checked Firefox’s preferences: Firefox menu > Settings? There’s a section there that deals with fonts. If you find it, click the Advanced button, then make sure the box is checked that allows pages to choose their own fonts.

This probably won’t solve the problem, but it’s one more thing to try if you haven’t done so already.

1 Like

Checked that, already checked. I too believe it’s a compatibility problem. But thanks for the suggestion!

I know it is an extra step, but instead of printing form the print dialog box, if she saves as a PDF does it cause the same issue? Or do the fonts appear correct on the PDF?

I did poke around and there do seem to be several pages discussing the issue and possible fixes, including this one.