How can I make the following poster

No. You can’t and shouldn’t.

I will say this. I could make the poster in Photoshop.

It’s not an issue for me. Using vector shapes, live text, and, vector masks. Logis are problematic as they would be used as smart objects which will rasterise.

So yes, I can do it. It’s not a problem for me.

But should a beginner with no ideas of the caveats, absolutely not.

Illustrator or InDesign gives the beginner the correct tools.

And if you’re an advanced user why would you intentionally go to the wrong tools?

Yes it can be done. But I’m not in the habit of starting a beginner down the wrong path.

If your using Photoshop for this you should probably get out of the habit too.

Good luck

1 Like

What Smurf2 says is bang on.

For me, Photoshop should always be used with the lightest of touches, in terms of scope. Of course it has to do lots of heavy lifting when it comes to actual photographic editing, manipulation, balancing, composition, etc, but even then, that should be done as non-destructively as possible (and always keeping a second copy of the original, untouched images). Personally, I never use type in photoshop, unless it is to repair or replace some text within the image itself – and that usually requires some degradation anyway to match the grain, colour and distortion of the original image.

Other than that, for all other type the goto is InDesign. Even, Illustrator I never use for tracts of text, only for small things like logos, illustrations, etc. Essentially, when I need to manipulate vector type (distort, curve, rotate), I’ll go to illustrator. Other that that, for actual type setting, InDesign does the job so much better.

I am always surprised by any confusion, as Adobe conveniently named all three succinctly to describe what they do best. Stick to that and you’ll get the best from any workflow.

I am sooooo glad I don’t do conventional print. But then again, where some low-end online print companies will only accept jpg files, yeah, I can see where the misconception can arise on using Photoslop for everything. If you really want your black text to be 4-color with usually sloppy registration, have at it. That kind of production output doesn’t speak well for your clients, nor you. Some say ‘regular people won’t notice stuff like that’ but they do. They may not know what is making the thing look ‘cheap.’ They just know it does.

But whatEVer. You send it, I’ll print it. I’ve pretty much given up. Nose clip on, blast shield down, press the print button and stand back.

That’s far from true for the subject being discussed — at least for now.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.