How clients value logo design

So I’m trying to suss out in my head the different types of clients and how they value logo design.
This is prompted by a potential client asking what my turnaround time is.
While that is a valid question, I kind of feel like that is not the first question they should be asking.

• Side Note - I’m new to freelancing so I think I would categorize this as a dealing with clients question/thinking out loud into the void of the internet

When it comes to logos, there are people who:
A.) Think you just slap a font and an icon together and call it a day
B.) Those who want a full process that concludes with a branding identity
C.) Everything in between

I guess I don’t mind dealing with people in the A category as long as I am getting paid the right amount for it. But it’s all about managing expectations, right?
How do you know what type your client is?

I am working on asking the right questions upfront so we both understand what services will be provided.

What general questions are good for determining how much effort the client is expecting you to put into a logo?
Also, if you have any good articles about the logo design process/dealing with clients, I’d love to see them!

Thanks designers!!

Here’s a pretty good list of questions: https://www.creativeboom.com/tips/50-questions-to-ask-clients-when-designing-a-logo/

I don’t think it would be a good idea to go down a big list while asking these questions, but by the end of the first meeting you should be in a position, from what has been said, to answer them yourself.

It soon becomes apparent after the first few questions and during the conversation what the client has in mind. If it’s nothing but a logo, I’ll typically toss out a bunch of what-ifs, as in “What if your company grows and you need a storefront sign?” Might you ever need to place your logo on an automobile? Will people ever need to recognize it from far away? Or maybe, do you also need matching business cards and stationery? What about how to use the logo in various situations? Colors, sizes, variations, animations, etc. Should the logo be designed to accommodate these kinds things when and if they’re needed.

This typically gets them thinking about the bigger picture of a logo just being the tip of a visual branding process. They still might not decide to go there for various reasons, but you’ve educated them a bit by bringing the bigger issue to their attention. You’ve also helped establish yourself as having expertise about something they might not have thought about and might need down the road a ways.

2 Likes

This is slightly off topic. And, first and foremost, Follow Just-B’s advice, his knowledge is a value to the industry and comes from many years of experience.

Now, I have concent to kindly rant and drift off topic. I see a very many designers putting all their focus into logo design, to the point of claiming a dedicated specialty in logos and logos alone.

Keep in mind logo design is often a fruitless prospect, with little return on invested, and difficult in procurement. Most companies already have a logo in place, and for good reason, don’t wish to change the icon that represents their entity. Once designed, it will never come up for changes, edits, or find its way into production (at least, not on its own accord). Do your best to include as many subsequent pieces in with the initial logo design as possible. Package what you can. Doing logos alone will often cost you the business of many clients entirely. Companies would rather not commission a designer for a logo, only to commission another for the remaining business material.

To more directly answer your question:
Ask if they have an existing logo, and dive into what they wish to evolve it into.
In no logo exists, ask about the company, its mantra, its values, and which of those values they wish to display graphically.
As who their competitors might be.
Simply enough, ask if they have a design in mind, many clients have put series thought into a brand for commissioning an artists.
Bill by the hour, and you always get proper pay for the work you render.

1 Like