How do I add color to this black and white logo?

I made this logo a while back for my business, and now am realizing that our brand needs some color. I have tried implementing it into this logo but to no avail! any advice?

Are you asking how to add colors, or are you asking how to decide which colors to use?

Is this a vector file?

1 Like

Since you are using an image purchased from Shutterstock be aware that Shutterstock’s licensing specifically mention that “If you would like to use an existing image on Shutterstock as a logo, Shutterstock would need to acquire the copyright from the contributor and then grant you exclusive rights. These rights would include the ability to use the work for trademarks and logos. If you’re interested, please contact us with the image ID(s), a brief summary of how you’d like to use the artwork as well as your initial monetary offer.”

4 Likes

It is a vector file. I have changed the color of the design from black to various colors, but the contrast just doesn’t work well. I am just unsure how to implement color into the design.

Well, that sucks. A friend made sketches for me of some “ideas”. Must have taken inspiration :face_with_diagonal_mouth:

I am starting to reconsider this logo. I love it but I am too broke to purchase a copywrite. My logo is quite different, but I am uncomfortable with it after seeing that image on Shutterstock. I have heard they love to sue people.

Only people who infringe on their rights.

Would you consider my logo a violation of their licensing?

If you did not do that, then, yes, I would.

1 Like

I don’t have the time or money to go down that rabbit hole. Does anyone have advice as to how to make a logo that gives off the same vibe, but is not going to cause legal trouble?

I don’t mean to be flippant, but here’s an analogy.

Your automobile engine is making a banging noise. You have four choices:

1. Fix it yourself.
  2. Find a friend to fix it.
  3. Hire a mechanic.
  4. Ignore the problem and deal with the consequences.

You’ve already tried 1 and 2. You don’t want to risk 4, which leaves number 3. Unfortunately, you don’t have the money to spend, which leaves you stuck.

The only things I can think of are to make another try at doing it yourself, find another friend with more experience, or decide to spend some money.

Everyone who has responded so far is a professional designer. Each of us has seen the consequences of do-it-yourself design work hundreds of times. The failure to consider color in the initial design and ignoring copyright considerations are just some problems. If you want a professional design, my best advice is to hire a professional.

4 Likes

Thank you for your time and solutions. I will try to design another version. The first version was inspired by a drawing my friend designed for the business (of course he took a quite heavy amount of inspiration from the Shutterstock image). I did not know about the Shutterstock listing until today. Part of my job is making other people’s logos compatible with the software we use to laser engrave and create vinyl, most logos we get are either not vector or absolute crap. So I am half decent at Adobe Illustrator. I have never really made a logo from scratch but I will try. Thanks for your feedback on this forum page. If you have any other advice please through it right onto my face. I am very new to all this. Thanks!

Draw something similar - and different enough to avoid legal issues - or look for a similar image that’s free to use or licensable.

1 Like

**Invert the layer mask to black and use the brush to paint over the part of the image you want to colorize. Option B: Use the Quick Selection tool with Solid Colour layers. Once you’ve created a new layer, use the Quick Selection tool to outline the area you want to colour.

no. these are pixel operations. logo work is done best with vector operations. above logo already is a vector file. the designer will probably make a new logo anyway. see above.

CraigB and Just B are right. Don’t take a chance with copyright infringement. And don’t make the mistake of thinking you can get away with it. You will definitely regret it.

1 Like

Hey, just out of curiosity, how much does buying exclusive royalty cost? The person listing this on Shutterstock has over 4,500 images, so they aren’t messing around. They do advertise on their profile they are looking to sell rights to their images. Probably out of my budget, but worth a shot I guess.

The person to ask would be the person who created it. If this is for a logo, you would want more than exclusive rights; you’d want the copyright transferred to you so that you owned it.

OK, I’ll shoot them an email. I am basically trying to ask what would price would be considered “too much”.