How do I create embellished frames in GIMP?

Hello guys,

I hope this is the correct thread to post my question.

So I’m currently working on a card game project and I gathered quite some graphical references. One thing I really love about another card design (Arkham Horror LCG) are the embellishment frames used around the illustrations or textboxes. They look a bit like curved iron fences to me (see attached reference).

I was looking to a tutorial how to create such a frame with GIMP (unfortunately I don’t have access to Adobe software) online, but couldn’t find anything.

I presume I have to use the paths/path (?) tool, but I really have no clue what to do next…? I’m kinda stuck here, maybe somebody here knows how to create these and give me some clues :slight_smile:

That’d be lovely!
Thank you in advance and Best Wishes,

V.

If you’re going the free route, I wouldn’t do them in GIMP. You’re better off creating vectors of the frames in something like Inkscape perhaps (disclaimer, I haven’t use either GIMP or Inkscape). After creating the frames, you can import or bring them into GIMP and embellish them. If you’re willing to spend a little bit of money, you might be better off looking at something like Affinity Photo and Affinity Designer (each $50) which would probably be a little more of a step up then trying to do them in GIMP and Inkscape.