How do I create such graphics?

Hello,
I was just wondering if anyone knows how I can achieve such an effect in After Effects or other programs like it?
I think it was first modeled in 3D and then processed into a 2D effect. Unfortunately, I couldn’t find any information on youtube on how to create such effects.
That’s why I’m reaching out to you in hope, someone can help me.

Is this even motion design?

Ink, brush, scissors, scanner
oh, wait, you mean the video itself?

1 Like

Yeah, for example at 00:24

I fixed your link. I also boosted your posting privileges, so you can create your own links.

I’ve never seen anything quite like that video, and I don’t know how it was done. I’m guessing it was a combination of techniques There are some 3D effects in it, but I’m not sure how much was done in a 3D app as opposed to being created with more traditional animation and video effects. There was obviously motion software involved. Honestly, I’m just not sure. it’s impressive, though.

1 Like

Yes, it is mostly 3D elements, with a specific “shader”. A shader is what makes the resulting cartoon look and feel.

Here is a google search of the toon shader in Blender. blender toon shader - Google Search where you can adjust the colors or parameters of the look.

It can also be done by processing the images, converting them to grayscale, and adjusting the contrast a lot.

Some other elements look like vector-based animations, like 1st plane the clouds. They are not drawn by hand because the morphing looks very smooth, so I think they have keyframes, therefore vector-based animations.

Here is an image with the shader settings on Blender.

And here it is a before-after image contrating it, on this case with curves.

1 Like

If I may add something? I think they did a combination of rotoscoping and 3D elements. Mostly the 360 degree turns are 3D objects with a cartoon shader and the more ‘staggering’ animated elements (the animations that appear to have less frames and move like a stopmotion animation), like the people, are probably traced digitally frame by frame in either photoshop or another program. Or they just created the animation from scratch.

From Wikipedia: ‘Although motion design and animation share many commonalities, the difference between them lies in the fact that animation as an art from is centered on the interplay between storytelling and the corresponding movement of images, where as motion design is simply the movement of otherwise static images regardless of an overarching narrative.’

I don’t believe in 2D to do that at all, you saw the 360° rotations, it’s impossible.

I would say simply, a 3D program like “Blender”. For black it’s easier, you just have to find the right effect with a video editing program.
I use the free program “kdenlive” which has this function with a lot of black effects, keys and a lot of things, this is only my opinion.

This topic just got four spam posts in a row. I’ll need to lock it or I’m certain there will be more.

1 Like