How do I replicate this text effect?

This game is cool and I have been dying to figure out exactly how I can recreate this effect.

Here is the process that takes me the furthest so far:

1. Create the base shape as a 2D vector in illustrator.
  2. Import to photoshop and use 3D text features to make the text look the same in a 3D space.
  3. Move the lights to match.
  4. Change the “material” to a correct thing.
  5. Change the material “texture”…

But I feel I fall off at the material texture part. I feel they use some depth map method and the light scatters off the imperfections of the material. It also shines on it and reflects. This is where I can’t figure out how to get further.

Does anybody know how to replicate this? Any program, any method possible?
Thanks!

Literally found the first youtube video it’s not in English but there are plenty of tutorials out there.

https://www.google.com/search?q=hogwarts+legacy+photoshop+tutorial&rlz=1C1CHBF_enIE1032IE1032&oq=hogwarts+legacy+photoshop+tutorial&aqs=chrome..69i57j33i160.5475j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#fpstate=ive&vld=cid:df3c8d09,vid:9Ygj5FZzP34

Sorry that I didn’t do enough research. I searched it up myself and didn’t find it. Thank you!

Oh. I realized now that the video you show doesn’t replicate the texture specular depth map issue I didn’t know how to do. I take it back about this being the answer. Its good enough for a youtube thumbnail but I’m trying to get the exact effect here. No half measures.
The whites in the light don’t match that of the original design here. Albeit really close to exact, its not.

As I said - there’s a few online tutorials that show this - you can check them out yourself for the level of detail that you want - I am certainly not going through them to find the information you need.

I have no idea what you mean by the ‘doesn’t replicate the texture specular depth map’

I looked and didnt find them. Thus I’m still here to look for answers.

Ignore the terms. Sorry if I’m failing to get my request across and am using incorrect terms.

Point is I need help replicating it correctly and there really doesn’t appear to be an answer found online despite you saying there is. I’m sure there’s a guide out there, but I will still need help figuring out what that is. I don’t know what it would be. Knowledge is required to figure that out. Knowledge that is found by either asking or spending a career in the field eventually figuring it out myself on my own journey and happenstance. I did another runthrough and the video you sent was the only one related to my need, and it didn’t answer it fully. I am looking for the full answer here, therefore I’m asking here.

Once again, thanks for your efforts to help!

In order to know how this was achieved I (and others here) would have to spend an inordinate amount of time and effort to find the answer for you.

I don’t have a direct answer to your question as it’s really subjective to how each designer/illustartor/digital artist could approach this concept.

Can you highlight exactly what portion of the image or step in the process is missing, either with screenshots or other examples of what you want to achieve?

I’m not trying to be mean - but you’d probably have to spend time looking through tutorials on the exact style you want and try to emulate it in the same way on what you’re doing.

There’s probably a dozen if not more techniques to achieve this.

I don’t have a straight answer, except you’ll have to spend time ‘playing’ with different methods to achieve what you want.

If you can point to what it is you’re struggling with then maybe we can offer pointers.
Or even show your progress so far based on the tutorial that was almost a solution.

Let us know what you’re missing and what you want to achieve.

What brings you to that certainty? An artist made it. How could there be any guarantee of a tutorial that produces that exact result? Maybe there isn’t a guide—only some that come close—and one would have to make discoveries of their own to get the exact same result. I’ve found that’s often the case with high-profile examples.

Haha, yeah, we did a job for a high profile client not too long ago, they wanted a highly textured, rusted almost steampunk looking machinery gear. We actually built it, 6’ high and about 6’ wide, scenically treated with various materials to look and feel like a big rusty old gear that had been through the apocalypse. On camera, it could have looked like green-screen digital art, until the talent interacted with it. :slight_smile: Some days I love my job
But if you had just seen a screenshot of it without the talent present, you might be looking for some type of photoshop tutorial to get that textured effect.

Not saying that’s what’s going on here, but that logo is something that could have been done 3D, lit, and photographed. I’m more betting it was done in a 3D imaging software though. Not Photoshop.

Obtaining the exact effect would require an exact duplication of the hundreds or thousands of steps taken by the creator in the software application that was used. I doubt even the original creator could exactly duplicate the work.

That said, there are ways to achieve similar effects. For example, check out this After Effects video.

The same sort of effects could also be done in many 3d software applications, such as Cinema 4D.

That’s probably true, but honestly, I don’t really see anything terribly special about it. It kind of looks like a fairly ordinary, if not ragged, application of Bevel & Emboss with the ‘chisel’ option chosen.

If you are just looking to create shiny text, you could always try Ulead 3D.

I haven’t used it in many years. But, it always worked in a pinch when I needed a golden or chrome look that was believable.

hello i this image may give you a clue i have a full tutorial about it.

I expected a somebody who happened to have the skills to happen to feel like helping me. Which would be a quick task for them, since they would have already known. I don’t want this to be a labourious request from anybody that doesn’t even owe me anything.

I am sorry if this was unclear. I’ll consider making my next question have pictures.

All I need is one method. Considering there might be multiple methods as you suggest, there are higher odds of somebody to come with one. Which is nice.

I used bad wording. I should have said “I have a feeling there might be a guide out there”. That would better reflect my opinion.

I apologise for my misleading use of vocabulary.

Thank you for the suggestion! I’ll check it out.

Thank you :slightly_smiling_face:

I guess what I’m telling you is that there is no right or wrong way to get any effect you’re after.

The tools in these applications allow many different approaches to achieve the same thing.

I’d still like to know at what point or exactly what part you’re missing.

And why it has to be exactly - likely nobody will notice if it’s not 100% accurate.

edited to remove the link as the quality of the files was abysmal

Thank you! I’ll look through it.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.