How do you create dusty gold effect in Illustrator

Hello all,

I can make similar effect in Photoshop but I have never tried this in Illustrator.
_original_gold-2
How to create this effect in Illustrator. I can use gradient but it won’t include any texture there.
I wonder if I can put some dusty texture as clipped path and then adjust the opacity of it.
Do you have better way to create this?

Thanks! :slight_smile:

~A u d e e

You can try Effect > Texture > Grain and then experiment with the settings.

1 Like

owh wow…
how could I miss this effect in Illustrator :smiley:
It works perfect!
Thank you so much with this helpful info Steve :slight_smile:

cambridge%20golden%20crest

1 Like

You’re welcome.

To the regulars on here, I will sound like a broken record. Play with the appearance palette. This is definitely not perfect. But once you tweak it to how you want you can save it as a graphic style and easily apply it to any other art. (you can even add the texture/grain affect through the appearance palette.)

13%20AM

This tutorial is for a texture free, “slicker” sort of gold, but the notion of layering fills and strokes and effects within the appearance palette should help.

1 Like

will definitely try this gold effect too! Thank you very much!

Remember,
a lot of effects in Illustrator are Raster effects, not necessarily vector. The ones listed as Photoshop effects are all Raster.

They are size dependent and will not be appropriate for all-vector art.

If placed into another document, be very careful about scaling them larger. The saved illustrator file will be resolution dependent (though the Effect resolution can be adjusted within the illustrator file and resaved.)

2 Likes

in other words, we have to create the exact size of layout or vector dimension before we add the effects?
It may not be practical for a very large artwork but it needs to be done to preserve the quality?

Good pont @PrintDriver In my example I only used vector effects, not raster ones. Even though I know the texture grain effect is.

You don’t have to make it the exact size, but you do have to up the resolution in the Raster Effects Setting in the Effect menu if you intend to scale it.
RES
The great thing about modern Illustrator is this can be changed at any time.

For instance, if your final piece is 100% and your output resolution is 300ppi, then it should look like the image above. If you are going to output at 200%, then your RES should be 600ppi (apply under other,) because when you double the size in the layout program, you halve the resolution, just like with images.

Yes, the file will be larger. Much larger. Just like with large images. Apply multiple effects and not only is the file larger, it takes more ram and can bog down to a crawl. Illustrator is not meant for multilevel raster effect art.

1 Like