How is the client oversaturating my files?

I’m using Indesign to create PDFs for print… magazine ads, flyers, banners. Everything is CMYK and delivered to the client as PDF. I just discovered that they’re taking the PDFs and doing things to it so they can put it on Facebook, and when they do this, they are doing something that unintentionally causes the colors to oversaturate. I want to talk to them about this, but I can’t figure out what they could be doing to cause this, and I’m sure they don’t know. Any ideas?

If I had to guess I would say they are probably just using an image filter. Or if they are exporting the pdf as an image it could be something built into that process. I’ve seen weird things with color conversions but not usually with cmyk to rgb.

Easiest solve is probably just to go ahead and provide the images since you don’t want your work misrepresented.

We don’t know how they’re converting the PDFs to JPEGs, It could be a screen capture, opening it in an image manipulation app, or some quirky thing they’ve figured out on their own. Maybe they like the boosted saturation and are doing it intentionally. There’s really no way of saying what’s happening without knowing how they’re going about it.

Post your PDF here and we can try to figure out what’s going on.

If it’s CMYK and they’re saving as JPEG for Facebook then the image is going to be converted to RGB - so it depends on colour profiles used and how they are converting.

Best thing to do is make the JPEGs for them and send them too.

Why don’t you just ask them what they’re doing? Then you can approach a solution from there.