How to get inspiration?

Hello,

just a little question.
What are you doing if you don´t get inspiration and ideas?
Any ideas ?

greatings flo

Here are some good blogs for inspiration:

Beautiful letters from @miketype for his own wedding https://ift.tt/2NUusgV

http://www.thedieline.com/

https://www.underconsideration.com/brandnew/

1 Like

thanks, but i want to know what you are doing to get inspiration without internet and websites :smile:

1 Like

Hike, bicycle, photography, draw, visit museums, go out to eat in urban area, shower.

Sometimes, I find the bog idea comes when I’ve disconnected from a project.

Bookstores, magazines, Target, other stores, grocery store aisles, to name a few that were not already listed,

1 Like

thanks :slight_smile: what do you think about a kind of mediation with square, circle and triangle?
To build compositions? did anyone do that?
Or do you have other creative methods to get the head free ?

i am just asking because i do my bachelor degree on that topic.
I do composition as an answer to the inspiration overflow in the internet. i do an everyday experiment with the basic elements of design (square,circle,triangle).
After that i do the creative stuff.
Does anyone else do such experiments or have other ideas to answer the overflow of inspiration in the web?

Yup, I’ve spent a lotof time in that ‘vein’.

Reminds of a classic … you’re so vein … hm, shoulda saved that one.

Anywho, grab yourself a copy of these two books they will serve you well…

Art and Visual Perception by Rudolf Arnheim
Visual Thinking by Rudolf Arnheim

Visit galleries, or wherever creative stuff is going down ‘live’.

1 Like

thank You :slight_smile: i think the two books Are very well :slight_smile: what so You mean of You say That You spend alot of Time to this ?

Fundamentals are extremely valuable to know and fun to continually practice. More valuable than you’d think. For instance, playing around with triangles to form hexagons or other complex shapes will able to better understand other civilizations and the amazing compositions in both art and architecture.

Here’s a PDF of Arnheim’s Art and Visual Perception:

Look at the chapters … you’ll soon realize that it takes a lot more than just couple of semesters to master these techniques. It takes time! And then when you’ve become familiar with those techniques take a good look at the fundamentals of Japanese & Chinese compositional theory …very different in so many ways.

This might help me :slight_smile: yes i think so that ist Takes a Long Time , but to get to know yourself how You deal with those forms an everyday Experiment is a good Start i think :slight_smile: and for designers a very good practice to learn about forms and space and more:)

I start drawing/doodling ideas. Try some different things out, even if you’re not sure if they’ll work. Don’t just wait for inspiration to strike. Often you just have to experiment and put in the work. Create until you see something that might work, cull anything that isn’t working. Sometimes it’s not about having a clear cut concept idea and then executing it. Sometimes you start working and a concept forms as you create.

If I get really stuck, I go away and come back later. Later night be a few hours but better after a day. Fresh eyes always helps.

read books

Very early on I made cutouts of basic geometric shapes such as triangles, squares, circles etc., I used thick colored cardboard. I was inspired by one of my hero’s hero who’s name is Louis H. Sullivan. I’m sure not well known these days. He was an epic architect and wrote several great books. One in particular called … Kindergarten Chats and Other Writings, I still hold in high esteem.

So many many times I have railed against the absolute overkill of the word … space … including ‘negative space’.

Space is an abstract concept produced by a yearning for something almost too ethereal for words.

Instead, I would strongly advise you to concentrate on the relationship between other elements of design and their relationship between one and another … and the amazing rhythms that can/do arise thereof (including textural rhythms). They DON’T define ‘space’, rather, they define themselves.

And that is key.

While that’s a interesting thought, and I can relate to opposing the rampant overuse of any concept, space is, in fact, entirely material, measurable, with shape, and just as important to:

. . . as any one of those other elements. I can’t imagine a designer excluding space from those equations.

Did someone say that? Of course “other elements” don’t define space; they occupy it, they vacate it, they strike their rhythms within, through, and around it. Space is to visual design as time is to music: integral.

Nope.

‘Area’ is measurable … not space.

Nope.

‘Time’ measures the notes, as in 1/4, 1/2, etc., and time measures distance between notes. Don’t confuse ‘distance’ as being ‘space’.

Oh for christ’s sake. Yes, you’re the only one who hasn’t been entirely fooled by the concept of space. Enjoy yourself, and thank you for taking pity on us.

:rofl:

I don’t have an abstract bone in my body, so keeping at least 100 feet away from this topic.

Yep.

Volume.

Yep.

Nope.

Time doesn’t measure anything. Time is the measure of duration, whether it be of sound or silence, notes or rests. Unless you take a ruler to a piece of sheet music, there is no measure of distance related to notes on a staff.

Thanks but, I didn’t.

Imagination is the essence of exponential spacetime events, but attention and intention are the mechanics of manifestation.

— Quote courtesy of the Random Deepak Chropra bulls**t generator.

1 Like