How to Improve my Web Designing Skills

I am into the field of web designing for the last 2 months and now I feel that I need to brush my skills up and learn more things about how I can improve and make my design skills better.
I want some suggestions from experienced people who are also into this field and can help me in improving my skills

1 Like

this site is very good, you just need a thick skin and an open mind.
and posting your work so we can help improve your skill will help.
we all started out as young, raw designers and grew off feedback.

Hey @jayarora :slight_smile:

Welcome Aboard!!! :wave:

I see this is the first time you have posted. Feel free to ramble around the forum and be sure to check out our Forum Rules & FAQ

If you have questions, feel free to ask. We are all here to help :slight_smile:

I don’t know how far you’ve advanced so Ill just keep it general. I would concentrate on 5 areas.

1. Bootstrap 4 and grid development
  2. Working with PHP in dynamic design
  3. Advanced CSS 3 development like Import styles and pseudo-elements
  4. 508 ADA Code Compliance
  5. Building all your development to be responsive and social media friendly.

A good place to start is www.lynda.com/ I wish you good luck in your growth.

1 Like

Have you studied graphic design at all?

There are a few good books that will teach you basics (alignment, kerning, repetition of shape, diagrammatic lines, contrast…)

If not, RedKK seems to really know all the standards.

There are no shortcuts to improving your design skills. Practicing on production sites is a big no-no. So you need to create a safe space where you can try out new design principles without breaking anything.

Here are a few tips from my end that will help you to become a good web designer

1. Build a Sandbox Where You Can Practice Design Fearlessly
  2. Get Inspiration From the World Around You
  3. Give and Receive Design Feedback
  4. Don’t Forget About Theory
  5. Pay Attention to Trends
  6. Participate in Design Competitions

Note: If anyone finds this answer helpful please like it or comment.

2 Likes

Reading the guides, practising a lot.

Some of my friends undertook web design online courses. It is convenient and can help to improve our skills.

Watch more, think more, do more.

w3schools is the far better free resource to get your skills updated

1 Like

Congratulation for a new start. The only thing you can do just keep practicing and experimeting new things can boost your skill more day by day.

I know this thread is a year old now but I really take exception to these:

1. Pay Attention to Trends
  2. Participate in Design Competitions

Just Don’t.

Be aware of trends, but don’t pay attention to them. Design what is best for the client to get the client’s message across to the client’s demographic market but do NOT bend anything to fit into a current trend.

And design competitions are a waste of billable time. Full stop. If you think you are good enough to win the design competitions you enter for the paltry prize offered, go out and find real paying clients. If you don’t win competitions, that doesn’t mean you suck either, it might just mean you did it right but the competition client wanted their poodles with pink bows when it really should have been the cats in sneakers you designed. Whatever. The design crowdsource sites are the only ones making money off that garbage.

4 Likes