How To Increase WordPress Media File Size

WordPress users generally face memory issue while uploading large file on WordPress. There are some hosting provider which set the default upload size to 64MB which is quite sufficient. But in some case you have to manually increase wordpress upload size by overriding some default commands in .htaccess and php.ini file. Here are the commands you have to replace:

.htaccess

php_value upload_max_filesize 64M
php_value post_max_size 128M
php_value memory_limit 256M
php_value max_execution_time 300
php_value max_input_time 300

Php.ini file

upload_max_filesize = 25M
post_max_size = 13M
memory_limit = 15M

It’s not really a Wordpress issue, of course. More accurately, it’s a PHP setting, which, as you mentioned requires increasing the limitations specified in the php.ini file. Unfortunately, low-priced hosting accounts rarely provide access to the .ini file since changing that file would have ramifications for the other users on the server. Sometimes that .ini setting can be overridden on a directory-by-directory basis through the .htaccess file(s), which most any user with FTP access does have the ability to change.

For what it’s worth, a good way to check many of the settings of the php.ini file, among other things, is with a phpinfo.php file which can be uploaded to your main HTTP directory. You can’t change or fix anything with that file, but it can provide lots of information about your server configuration.

I think this guy was just more or less trying to get a link to his blog…

Maybe B should write his blog?
:smile:

Oh, yeah. I didn’t even notice his blog link. I just thought it was a little strange that he had, for whatever reason, started a thread to post a random blurb about a PHP interpreter setting.

We sometimes make exceptions for good, established forum member, but I think a brand new user starting up a new thread for the sole purpose of driving traffic to a personal blog could probably be considered hit-and-run advertising. Sorry BaldwinJackson, but that’s against the forum rules, so I’m removing your link.

If you want to become a regular poster and limit the links to your blog to those instances in threads where it’s actually relevant to what’s being discussed, that’s another matter.

3 Likes

You can also try to boost upload size limit but if your not able to you reach out to your host and ask for help to get your server settings modified.

1: Theme Functions File**

There are cases where we have seen that just by adding the following code in the theme function’s file, you can increase the upload size:

@ini_set( 'upload_max_size' , '64M' );

@ini_set( 'post_max_size', '64M');

@ini_set( 'max_execution_time', '300' );

2. Create or Edit an existing PHP.INI file

In most cases if you are on a shared host, you will not see a php.ini file in your directory. If you do not see one, then create a file called php.ini and upload it in the root folder. In that file add the following code:

upload_max_filesize = 64M

post_max_size = 64M

max_execution_time = 300

This method is reported to work for many users. Remember if 64 doesn’t work. Try 10MB.

3. HT access Method

You can increase the maximum upload size in WordPress. Open or create the .HT access file in the root folder and add the following code:

php_value upload_max_filesize 64M

php_value post_max_size 64M

php_value max_execution_time 300

php_value max_input_time 300

website designing company in Noida | website development company in Delhi NCR