How to learn the standard practice which taken the

Hey, I want to learn the standard practice taken in the workplace in the professional environment. Like I have the skill of how to work on software but have the issues when working in collab. As I have failed to share the work on organized manner based on the professional approach. I have no issue while working in software but when I am working in collaboration and I shared my work with the team member, the team member faced difficulty due to lack of well- organized approach. Now how I want to know how can I learn the professional approach which taken in the world of professionals ?

There is no universally standardized approach. Different designers in various settings develop approaches that work for them in their situation. In a collaborative setting, designers rely on a leader to set the standards for organizational protocols. If there is no formal leadership, then the designers themselves must communicate with each other to understand what measures will best accommodate smooth exchange of files and sharing of responsibilities. Did you ask the other team member what you should have done differently?

3 Likes

“Teamwork is a lot of people doing what I say.”

2 Likes

Pretty much what HB said.
Graphic design is all about communication.
Communicate

1 Like

I don’t care how you do it, as long as you do it my way!

1 Like

I know there is a language barrier. You mention the lack of organization or a well-organized approach. And how that affects collaboration. There are a few ways you could learn or improve in that situation, in my opinion.

The first is it may be a larger issue with the workplace or the job. If Things are poorly managed, and there is a consistent lack in organized processes and/or the people you work with whether it is managers or other co-workers are not respectful of your time or not communicating clearly expectations. Then in that case the only solution might be to find another job that does.

If that is not easily possible. Then you may try to improve things by communicating up front what you need and or providing guidance on improving work processes.

Every situation is different but in most cases, most design jobs need solid processes. Even basically defined processes. Such as, “I need finalized (or near finalized) content up front before I begin the creative/design. I need XX days/hours/weeks to give you 2-3 rough concepts. After a concept is approved, I need XX days/hours/weeks to provide the first draft. Once edits are received I need XX days/hours/weeks before I can provide the revised draft. etc.”

Also, most jobs need at least some form of traffic management/project management tool. In my opinion, that is better if it is an official web-based sort of tracker such as Asana, Basecamp, Wrike, Trello, etc. (there are a million options out there). But by having a project management tool, the tool helps manage workflows, ensuring people who need to review or approve or provide content, etc. are more accountable for their role and task.

If it is a smaller company, you could possibly manage with something more basic, but roles and responsibilities need to be defined.

My other biggest bits of advice would be on any project make sure there is a defined single point of contact. There is nothing worse than getting feedback, edits, changes, etc. from 3 or 4 different people. On any project ensure up front that you will only accept edits, changes, design feedback from ONE person. Meaning anyone else that has an opinion needs to filter them through that one person and it’s that one person’s job to decide what changes are needed and what aren’t.

I’d also do your best to stick to what you say. As in, if you say you need 8 hours to do XYZ, don’t do it 3 or 4. Because then you’ve shown them that it really only takes 3 or 4. I’m not saying to not be flexible. But set realistic expectations up front.

Lastly, keep a paper trail. Document things so that if a problem arises, you have proof (a “paper” trail) that you did everything correctly, that you followed the processes, that you did work in the agreed upon timeframes, etc.

That is especially useful if, for example you tell someone, I can get XYZ done in 3 days, if I get finished content by tomorrow at noon. That way, if you have proof that you didn’t get the content emailed to you until two days after that, it shows that you followed your processes. Also, if you do get content late, then make a point to reply saying something to the effect of “I said I could do this in 3 days after I got the content. You said you would give me the content on Monday which I would have given you the final by Thursday. Since you didn’t give me the content until Thursday, I will now deliver the final by next Tuesday.”

Does that make sense?

3 Likes

Thanks all for the response. I believe I have an issue in my communication. As to some extent you guys understand correct but not entirely correct let me rephrase it with in depth explanation.

Now the question I want to learn what are standard practice takes place when working in collab or professional environment. Like in my case I am currently working on game design in which I have made the design and shared to my co-worker game developer. Now I issue is occur that I have not managed and organized my work in professional approach due to which he had to understand the project himself. Based on him is up to the designer to make the designer as self-explanatory and organized as possible as it is not the job of developer. Now this is the just one of many issues which will occur as time move further. Now to avoid this any standard issue in future I want to learn the standards by myself. I want to know what are the professional approaches and also how to learn it by yourself ?